Unsung Forum »
Tokyo Kid Brothers/JA Seazer/Tenjo Sajik

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
MC
638 posts

Tokyo Kid Brothers/JA Seazer/Tenjo Sajik
Nov 16, 2005, 20:01
Since I got into Japanese Rock this collective have always fascinated me often composing music for Shuji Terayama movies/theatrical performances. I love JA Seazer's - Kokkyou Junreika and Tokyo Kid Brothers - Lets go out in the Streets (P-Vine version - I only have a CDR and really want the original £30 waiting here for anyone who wants to part with it) - What're your views on their other albums - I hope someone with the TKB 6CD boxset will let me know what those disks are like, in particular the legendary GOLDEN BAT! PS To "Cock-a-Doodle" - Drop me an email on [email protected]
The Seth Man
1242 posts

Tokyo Kid Bothers (sic)
Nov 16, 2005, 20:47
MC,
By all costs stay far away from that box, as it is a deluxe, high priced collection comprised of latter-day Broadway/Noh tune extravaganzas more suited for those of a liberetto-following disposition

The outtakes EP of '69/'70 material was the only salvagable thing out of the mess -- and THAT was only a handfulla songs (*sob*)

J.A. Seazer's "Kokkyou Junreika" is excellent -- unfortunately, it's fairly out of print at this point
krautymckraut
krautymckraut
110 posts

Re: Tokyo Kid Bothers (sic)
Nov 17, 2005, 01:09
MC,

Tenjo Sajiki's Death in The Country soundtrack and Throw Away the Books Let's Go Into Streets are twisted operatic/orchestrated freakouts with some cool fuzz guitar excursions and doom riffage (particularly the opening to Death in the Country) The actual "songs" on these cds are absolutely fucking monster (though they're all under 3 minutes...bummer) Unfortunately, there's a lot of sparse spoken word bullshit and not enough jams. I will gladly burn you these for they are certainly not worth 34 bucks a piece.

and Seth, thanks for the info on the Tokyo Kid Brothers box. I had been planning to save up for it (based on the pulverizing genius of "Throw away the books..."), but now i know better.
The Seth Man
1242 posts

Tokyo Kid Box: The Horror...
Nov 17, 2005, 02:19
krautymckraut,

Hey, no problem -- I know the feeling

The descrpition of that box intrigued me so much, I ordered it

When it arrived, I took a look at the covers first and...uh oh: one of them looked like a Chic album, one of them looked like a Sadistic Mike Band album where they went troppo; another sleeve depicted them hanging out in an "English-styled pub" ...

I only sensed immediate trouble when I played the 1971 album with a stark black and white representation of the Statue of Liberty, a Coca-Cola bottle, etc and even THAT one was unengaging as fuck

But what made me pack it up at once and re-post it back to where it came from was this picture of T.K. Bros. -- everyone dressed nicely in typical clothing, with one of the guys front and centre decked out like a German officer

The album's name was "Cherry Wars"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

And if that wasn't bad enough, the whole thing stank of Peter Allen

I don't like to run any records down, but this one was so appalling, it amazed me that they had jumped the sharkl as soon as they did

The live 1982 show that was disc one made me wonder if it was mipressed with the soundtrack of the Japanese road show for 'Cats'

(...the horror....the horror...)

I'm still not clear what the TRUE connections between Tokyo Kid Brothers, Tenjo Sajiki, A Laboratory of Play and J.A.Seazer are (But for the moment, I can wait so don't tell me if you know)

With that said, the Tenjo Sajiki verison of "Throw Away The Books, Let's Go Out In The Streets" has extremely raw versions of SOME of the tracks on the Tokyo Kid Brothers version of the album
The Seth Man
1242 posts

Tokyo J.A. Sajiki Whatever aiiieeeeeeee.
Nov 17, 2005, 02:23
Sorry, krautymckraut -- my head's a bowl of miso at the moment

I misread your post and I read you already are up on the Tenjo Sajiki versh of "LTATB, LGOITS" and you nailed it: ripping fuzz galore on some of those tracks
MC
638 posts

Re: Tokyo J.A. Sajiki Whatever aiiieeeee
Nov 17, 2005, 21:59
Thanks for the warnings - looks like I have the right ones on CD, I'd been wondering for a few years whether I'd missed out big time on the box. A similar story I think (maybe not to the same degree though) with Yahowha's God and Hair Box - might look great but I think most people only really need a copy of Penetration!
phallus dei
583 posts

Re: Yahowha!
Nov 19, 2005, 10:17
The entire Yahowha box set is essential. It is certainly one of the best music purchases I've made, and maybe the one thing I'd try to rescue from a burning building, etc. I listen to it regularly and advise everyone else on this list to do the same. It's great. Ya ho wha ho.
MC
638 posts

Nov 19, 2005, 10:29
Not sure I agree, but Penetration is the real deal. Got it on Higher Key CD a long while ago. Does the Penetration from the box and the new Swordfish reissue have some vinyl surface noise at the beginning? Mine does. Anyone seen the Yahowha Source DVD yet? What's the old footage like?
phallus dei
583 posts

Nov 19, 2005, 14:59
Penetration is the best, but the whole thing is fantastic. The Yahowha box set version of Penetration also has the vinyl surface noise. I haven't heard the Swordfish reissue yet. Personally, I feel the vinyl hiss gives the album more "ambience." Penetration is definitely a tripped classic.
Blind Willie Nelson
Blind Willie Nelson
54 posts

Nov 19, 2005, 17:11
Don't miss the recently unearthed "Operetta," Father's final performance before hanggliding into the void. Somewhere between the abstraction of Penetration and the mercury choogle of I'm Gonna Take You Home.
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index