A Blanket in my Muesli !!!

Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Valve
Valve
1736 posts

A Blanket in my Muesli !!!
Oct 25, 2005, 10:55
On last nights University Challenge, the Birmingham University captain - Cheema from the Punjab, struggling to come up with the name of a sixties film from which a piece of jazz came, blurted out “A Blanket in my Muesli!” (which is of course the name that Mighty Baby gave to their jam at Glastonbury immortalised on the rare triple album). He even silenced Paxman for a moment. The Brummies won, so in future programmes look out for answers like “Uncle Harry’s last Freak Out!” when he’s flummoxed by a question on Chaucer, or coy references to “Quark, Strangeness and Charm” when he’s struggling with a quantum physics round.
Jane
Jane
3024 posts

Re: A Blanket in my Muesli !!!
Oct 25, 2005, 11:50
Yeah we saw that! I thought that Mr Cheema, the Brimingham Uni team captain, was just being randon when he said "A Blanket in my Muesli!". Now I know. Thanks! C'mon you Brummies!
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Oct 26, 2005, 21:18
Coincidence being that the Mighty Baby track was based on Coltrane's INDIA, that's right around the Punjab innit?
Stevo
Valve
Valve
1736 posts

Oct 27, 2005, 10:30
Hey, Look what I discovered. One Deepinder Cheema, an engineer from Birmingham (interests: Mighty Baby, 60s 70s jazz and collecting guitars) is currently a big noise on the ActionMightyBaby.com forum. So he dropped the “Blanket in my Muesli” reference on purpose and I suspect he’ll do something similar next time his team is on. I like his style. Watch this space.
Deepinder Cheema
Deepinder Cheema
1972 posts

Jan 05, 2007, 13:30
I am endebted to Valve for spotting me on 'University Challenge', and paying attention when I sabotaged a question that I could'nt answer correctly. I am shocked that I did not spot this Forum by the Arch Druid earlier. I would like to thank all those viewers who liked what I did, so much so that Armando Iannucci in his BBC2 comedy 'Time Trumpet' hijacked our performance and described us as 'Tired Students' too weary to study, and dubbed their voices over ours. Luckily since I from the 'punjab' has a big moustache you cannae see my lips move. Some wag has uploaded us on YOUTUBE..I think its called Venezuala time trumpet university challege spoof.

Sadly our team were severely traumatised by Trinity Hall Cambridge, eventual losing finalists in the second round, and my plans to sabotage the questions with answers like 'margaret rutherford' Storm Thorgerson, Arzachel, and Queen Street Gang..did not come to pass.

I spookily did get another Mighty Baby reference in the first programme; Paxo asked for the name of an Ingmar Bergman film, I could be heard debating that the only film I knew was 'Virgin Spring' and said so after the team drew a blank , and I said so..sadly this, which is the name of a track on the 'Jug Of Love' LP was wrong. The answer was Wild Cherries.

Iloved my moment on this programme, as it was an ambition of mine, I was born in Birmingham, but I decided to put the Punjab on the map as that is where my Mother was born..and I'm from my Mother right? Paxo roared with laughter when he cleverly sussed me out in the green room.
meurglys III
meurglys III
1085 posts

Jan 05, 2007, 13:54
cracking stuff. There should me more of this sort of playful subversion going on. more power to your greasy elbow!
Valve
Valve
1736 posts

Jan 05, 2007, 14:24
Deepinder my friend, you are very welcome around these parts. Stay a while and look around why dontcha. It was a very surreal moment for me when you slipped the Museli reference into that programme, and you probably deserve some sort of honours degree for unsettling the Paxman. Whilst I bow to your uber-knowledge on things Mighty baby can I point you in the direction of reviews of ‘Jug of Love’ by Volehead and my own Glastonbury Fayre piece in which I gush about t’ Baby and the Mighty Martin Stone in particular, in the Unsung Reviews section. Feel free to correct me on any inaccuracies but don’t mess with me mixed metaphors, I’m keeping them! There’s other brummies on here who will probably want a word. Nice to speak to ya, Valve.
Deepinder Cheema
Deepinder Cheema
1972 posts

Jan 06, 2007, 05:43
Greetings once more to the Valve. I am pleased and knocked out that my subversive 'Blanket in my Muesli' moment was a surreal one for you. I am jealous that I could not experience the shock of this because I know exactly what you mean; that is you are happily watching the TV when a reference to something that means a lot to you, which in the scheme of things is impossibly obscure..hits you between the eyes..that is a feeling which when it happens vibrates out of proportion to anything else that day. I have to say the closest I got was when someone 'phoned me up to say that I'm on TV..which was our Birmingham University Team..was being Hi-jacked by the trailer for the BBC 2 Armando Iannucci 'Time Trumpet' comedy..I had no warning of this, as I signed a use of my tv performance..disclaimer at Granada TV. I am off to read the Glastonbury Reveiw, you would be interested to learn that I found a photograph of the LP being packed by the Rev staff in '72 in a chapter about Revelation Enterprises in a 1973 book.

Did you know that Richard Treece (help yourself) is one of Martin Stones favourite guitarists

Get in touch, if you cannot find my email leave a message here.

Deepinder Cheema
Valve
Valve
1736 posts

Jan 08, 2007, 14:03
I think I did know that, about Martin being a fan of the Treece. Was it in the Ptolemaic Terrascope Mighty Baby interview? Funnily enough when I first had access to the www about 8 years ago the first thing I typed into a search engine was “Help Yourself” figuring if this thing was gonna be any use to me it was gonna uncover stuff on the most obscure and unsung of bands dear to my heart. After scrolling through pages of wacko american self help therapists and the occasional Tom Jones reference I amended the search to “Help Yourself Richard Treece” and voila! The Ptolemaic Terrascope and Phil McMullen’s wonderful pages on the band. They are a couple of beautiful guitarists to be sure, always a joy to see and hear - they shared a bill at least once when Chilli Willi and the Helps played the ZigZag benefit at the Roundhouse (74/5?) with Mike Nesmith. And both of them at Glasto ‘71 of course...
Deepinder Cheema
Deepinder Cheema
1972 posts

Jan 23, 2008, 00:12
Its been a while, but I really need to put this clip onto Youtube of me doing the Paxman he flummoxed man. As soon as I find the tape I'll let you know.

Happy new year to the valve, and I like the Penguin book of 'Uncle Harry'

I'm only sorry that I couldn't have seen his request in time, for I do requests!
Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index