Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Mexican Rock history
Jun 17, 2005, 19:57
Just been given this URL for a site on mexican Rock
http://www.maph49.galeon.com/avandaro/ingles/avandaroa.html

& told that these records are worth checking out.
Stevo
Np John Cale Island Years Gun
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: Mexican Rock history
Jun 17, 2005, 19:58
uh, these bands

Enigma-Enigma!
El Ritual-s/t
Aguaturbia-s/t
Materia Gris-Oh Perra Vida De Beto
Bandolero
sakedelic
sakedelic
936 posts

Jun 17, 2005, 20:10
Aguaturbia are from Chile, but they are awesome.
They have two albums, both out recently on a two-fer cd.
Female vocals, super-fuzzy guitars.
Haven't heard of the rest but most of what I've heard from Mexico has been pretty dissapointing (esp. La Revolucion de Emiliano Zapata and Dug Dugs...though Dug Dugs 1st lp is ok)
boy howdy
boy howdy
185 posts

Jun 17, 2005, 20:17
What about the Dug Dug's 2nd album "Smog"? I think it's righteous. Actually I like all the Dug Dugs stuff I have heard.
sakedelic
sakedelic
936 posts

Re: SMOG
Jun 17, 2005, 20:24
it's not terrible, actually, it's pretty alright but I thought just a tad mediocre w/ unfortunate echoes of J.Tull in places. Haven't listened to it in ages b/c there's too much better stuff by others to listen to first.
boy howdy
boy howdy
185 posts

Re: SMOG
Jun 17, 2005, 20:43
Yeah, the flute does make it reminiscent of J. Tull at times, but with fuzz basses and fuzz guitars and heavy drums I don't really mind that.

I was pretty let down by La Revolucion de Emiliano Zapata as well, though the track "Nasty Sex" has a nice laid-back vibe to it (and funny lyrics).

The most let down I've been my a Mexican r'n'r album was an album by the band El Amor. I was in a psychedelic record shop in Tijuana, and I was asking the owner about different mexican/latin psych records he had for sale. He told me El Amor was "the Mexican MC5". No way! They suck big logs. They're heavy, but ploddingly simplistic and all the vocals are in really simplistic (bad) english. I picked up the La Revolucion de Emiliano Zapata LP on the same trip - he insisted that it was the best Mexican psych there was. He did steer me in the right direction with the s/t Tarkus LP.

If you're ever in LOVELY Tijuana make sure you seek out that record store, it's called La Cireula Electrica. Through the same name he reissues old Mexican psych LPs, he did the 1st Dug Dugs LP, but most notable the EXCELLENT s/t LP by the band KALEIDOSCOPE from Mexico (1 of 3 Kaleidoscopes of the era, US/UK/Mexico). The Kaleidoscope LP is the holy grail of Mexican psych, amazing garagey punk-psych.

The store is great, mostly used LPs though he has a lot of new stuff as well, and the sections in the rock bins are divided to say "Rock de Los 60s", "Rock de Los 70s", "Rock Psychedelico", "Rock Progressivo", etc. It's a great stop in between shopping for dirt cheap pharmaceuticals and visiting nasty strip clubs/brothels.
sakedelic
sakedelic
936 posts

Re: KALEIDOSCOPE
Jun 17, 2005, 20:53
yeah, that's a wasted one!
p.s. Tarkus are from Peru (drummer from Los Holy's & Telegraph Avenue, both also great)
Unsung Forum Index