WEEN

Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Carlos
Carlos
3884 posts

WEEN
Dec 19, 2003, 12:47
A friend of mine told me they're great. But I want to know your opinion. Who's the first...???
Cock-a-Doodle
803 posts

Re: WEEN
Dec 19, 2003, 12:50
I've only heard the album (i think) Chocolate & Cheese, from 1994/1995 - it wa very good - highly reccomended - a bit like The Residents mixed with Beck. Also heard 'Push The Little Daiseys' - great single - very odd, and unusually funky!
Heath
34 posts

Dec 19, 2003, 14:29
I used to hate them back in the early 90's, now I absolutley love them. I didn't realize the sarcasm before in their music. They are also extremely talented muscians.

The Mollusk, White Pepper & Quebec are my favorites.
I Faustus
53 posts

Dec 19, 2003, 14:48
Fuck. About time Dean n' Gene were bigged up here. WEEN are one of the best bands in the world ever. Every single LP they've ever made has been an inspired piece of genius. I shit you not - QUEBEC, the latest, takes you deep into the heart of math rock without once relying on cliche or taking the piss (too much). They can write perfect pop and split your skull with noise in the same song. I cannot rate them highly enough...
Faustus
dave
42 posts

Dec 19, 2003, 15:34
i was always(and still am) fond of the album "the pod"...very hilarious...and a mad freakout all at the same time.
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Dec 19, 2003, 15:39
Their "Pure Guava" album, which contains "Push The Li'l Daisies", is a hoot - exactly like the Residents mixed with Beck, as Cock-a-Doodle pointed out. I'd recommend it, but I'm far from an expert as it's the only one of theirs I own.
cancer boy
cancer boy
977 posts

Dec 20, 2003, 16:06
You can listen to endlesss live Ween at

http://www.weenradio.com

They do a nice cover of Guess Who's "These Eyes" among others, the Mollusc is my favourite of their studio albums.

Oh, and the beautiful jingles they did for Pizza Hut are at:

http://www.chocodog.com/chocodog/ween/ween_new/audio.html

The second of which is definitely NOT suitable for children or the frail elderly in case anyone was thinking of playing them at work. I think their relationship with the advertising agency had broken down somewhat by that point.
bitteryesbitter
bitteryesbitter
370 posts

Dec 20, 2003, 23:21
OH, THE TIME I HAVE SPENT WITH THESE BOYS. THEY WILL ALWAYS MAKE ME CRACK A SMILE.

GOD-WEEN-SATAN, THE FIRST ONE, IS STILL MY FAVORITE,....THE POD, PURE GUAVA...YA.

THEN-GET CHOCOLATE AND CHEESE, MOLLUSK, COUNTRY ALBUM, AND IT WILL ALL MAKE PERFECT SENSE.

P.S....DON'T GET TOO CLOSE TO MY FANTASY.
Proserpine
195 posts

Dec 21, 2003, 19:54
Def worth checking 'em out, Carlos. Just be aware as others have said that it's all a bit tongue-in-cheek, messing around - a sort of wierder, scarier, They Might Be Giants!
The first few albums are very lo-fi, almost 4-track recordings but things got polished up production-wise from Chocolate & Cheese (mid-90's) onwards. Choc & Cheese is great, as is Pure Guava and I really love their latest "Quebec". Seems like they're not quite joking about so much on some tracks now. They effortlessly change musical styles, do a bit of everything - very talented, funny and endearing!
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Dec 21, 2003, 20:07
Re: those Pizza Hut jingles. Apparently the ad agency was all for it (the clean version of course) and it was the Hut that backed out at the last minute.

No accounting for taste! (Same goes for their lousy pizza . . . )
Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index