Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Re: Boo hoo
Jan 26, 2020, 21:27
nigelswift wrote:
"Is there an element of schadenfreude to it I wonder."

I asked that question to my therapist in the mirror and he said yes, definitely, but I wasn't to feel guilty as not only had they damaged themselves but also everyone else, and most of all the poorest in society.

Plus, he said, it's not just the economic hit, it's the fact there are now three issues we ought to be supporting for moral reasons but won't because we have to toe Trump's immoral line.

An interesting answer Nigel but I need to challenge it just a bit. First of all who are you talking about when you say they damaged not only themselves but the poorest in society too - I imagine some of those people who deserted Labour were the poorest in society. Why did they desert Labour is the big question (because lets face the Lib Dems were never really in the running). Speaking personally I cancelled my Labour Party membership a year or so ago ago because I couldn't stand the in-fighting and the lack of a clear position on EU membership. When it came to the General Election I voted Labour as there was no other choice for me. I have now rejoined the Labour Party and will in due course cast my vote for a new leader in the hope they will rebuild and become a credible opposition.

The other day I bumped into an old Trotskyist acquaintance who had also recently joined the Labour Party. He was going on about the right-wingers who had joined the party so they could vote for Keir Starmer. So already there are demarcations about how left wing you actually are. I think people were and are fed up with this sort of leftist 'elitism' - I know I am.

Lastly Nigel - please would you clarify for information which 'three issues we ought to be supporting for moral reasons'. Because I do so want to be up to speed.

All the best
J

U-Know! Forum Index