Register
U-Know! Forum »
Boo hoo

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
nigelswift
8112 posts

Boo hoo
Jan 25, 2020, 11:27
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/jan/25/former-red-wall-areas-could-lose-millions-in-council-funding-review
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Re: Boo hoo
Jan 26, 2020, 10:40
nigelswift wrote:

I've read the article Nigel - some 'mights' and 'coulds' in there. Is there an element of schadenfreude to it I wonder.

I watched Question Time last week coming from Stoke Newington in London. Trevor Phillips was on there speaking about knife crime among young (mainly black) males (mainly in London). It made my blood run cold to hear what the perpetrators do to their victims. Later Trevor Phillips went to great pains to distance himself from a comment made by a member of the audience to effect the northern defectors from Labour had been brainwashed by the right wing press - implying they were less bright by far than Londoners. Mr Phillips said emphatically he did not endorse that view.
What is the point I'm trying to make? With respect to the Guardian (it is one of the few papers I sometimes read) let's not jump the gun. There is a lot of rebuilding work to do in our country and our planet for that matter. We have to let the past go - if some funding gets moved to inner cities to combat the gang culture I'm all for it.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jan 26, 2020, 11:44
"Is there an element of schadenfreude to it I wonder."

I asked that question to my therapist in the mirror and he said yes, definitely, but I wasn't to feel guilty as not only had they damaged themselves but also everyone else, and most of all the poorest in society.

Plus, he said, it's not just the economic hit, it's the fact there are now three issues we ought to be supporting for moral reasons but won't because we have to toe Trump's immoral line.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Jan 26, 2020, 21:27
nigelswift wrote:
"Is there an element of schadenfreude to it I wonder."

I asked that question to my therapist in the mirror and he said yes, definitely, but I wasn't to feel guilty as not only had they damaged themselves but also everyone else, and most of all the poorest in society.

Plus, he said, it's not just the economic hit, it's the fact there are now three issues we ought to be supporting for moral reasons but won't because we have to toe Trump's immoral line.

An interesting answer Nigel but I need to challenge it just a bit. First of all who are you talking about when you say they damaged not only themselves but the poorest in society too - I imagine some of those people who deserted Labour were the poorest in society. Why did they desert Labour is the big question (because lets face the Lib Dems were never really in the running). Speaking personally I cancelled my Labour Party membership a year or so ago ago because I couldn't stand the in-fighting and the lack of a clear position on EU membership. When it came to the General Election I voted Labour as there was no other choice for me. I have now rejoined the Labour Party and will in due course cast my vote for a new leader in the hope they will rebuild and become a credible opposition.

The other day I bumped into an old Trotskyist acquaintance who had also recently joined the Labour Party. He was going on about the right-wingers who had joined the party so they could vote for Keir Starmer. So already there are demarcations about how left wing you actually are. I think people were and are fed up with this sort of leftist 'elitism' - I know I am.

Lastly Nigel - please would you clarify for information which 'three issues we ought to be supporting for moral reasons'. Because I do so want to be up to speed.

All the best
J
nigelswift
8112 posts

Edited Jan 27, 2020, 10:59
Jan 27, 2020, 10:35
For me, "they" are the zillions of Northern and Midlands voters who voted Brexit and are going to suffer for it. "Northern Powerhouse" is a vote-catching gimmick that will now be functionally dropped except for an E-W rail scheme scheduled for donkeys years ahead. HS2? Council subsidies? Gone, and that's just the start. The poor saps in Bolton are going to ring the town hall bells on Friday in an act of jingoistic hubris to celebrate their own monumental act of self harm. They haven't yet realised taking control means Tories taking control.

As for the 3 immoral things Trump will force us into, it's more than that, it's whatever whim he wants. Here are some
https://www.politico.eu/article/brexit-britain-new-master-donald-trump-boris-johnson/

Bitter? Moi? Oui!
U-Know! Forum Index