Pages: 37 – [ Previous | 120 21 22 23 24 25 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Re: Another Election
May 04, 2017, 13:27
Rhiannon wrote:
Yeah and don't forget we won the battle of Waterloo, remind them of that. And the world cup in 1966. And generally, that Britons nevernevernever shall be slaves. Etc. Don't mention the battle of Hastings though.

Jesus

Oh for heaven’s sake, can’t people hold a different point of view without having that kind of crap thrown at them.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6213 posts

May 04, 2017, 13:52
Excellent, a bit of sexist nonsense. We were certainly missing that from this discussion.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6213 posts

May 04, 2017, 13:59
PS, flouncing is nothing to do with replying or not. I don't mind whether you or anyone else replies to me, there's no compulsion. You obviously keep reading despite how boring it is for you though.

There's only one person on this board who has repeatedly flounced. Flouncing is when you state that you are leaving a forum never to return, in a wholly public way, with the intention of getting attention. Here, I've found a definition for you, you might find it familiar:

"To leave an internet group or thread with exaggerated drama; deleting posts, notifying mods and or group users, and cross-posting on other groups to draw attention to the drama. Comes from the original use of gathering up skirts and petticoats and leaving in dramatic, impatient and exaggerated movements."

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Flounce
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

May 04, 2017, 14:06
thesweetcheat wrote:
PS, flouncing is nothing to do with replying or not. I don't mind whether you or anyone else replies to me, there's no compulsion. You obviously keep reading despite how boring it is for you though.

There's only one person on this board who has repeatedly flounced. Flouncing is when you state that you are leaving a forum never to return, in a wholly public way, with the intention of getting attention. Here, I've found a definition for you, you might find it familiar:

"To leave an internet group or thread with exaggerated drama; deleting posts, notifying mods and or group users, and cross-posting on other groups to draw attention to the drama. Comes from the original use of gathering up skirts and petticoats and leaving in dramatic, impatient and exaggerated movements."

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Flounce

Is that it - have you finished waffling away to cover your own slip-up. Brilliant. Love it.
Rhiannon
5291 posts

May 04, 2017, 15:39
I don't think it's crap, it was a humorous way of pointing out that eternally looking backward to the good old days when Britain was Great, isn't much of a forward-looking plan to a bright brexity future.

It smacks of children whining "but he did X, he started it, I just...."

But maybe the nuances were lost on someone eager to take offence. You can hold any opinion you want as long as you take responsibility for the results of your voting, as far as I'm concerned. It wasn't a personal attack was it. It wasn't even your words, it was a link to someone else's!!!!
Rhiannon
5291 posts

May 04, 2017, 15:46
Thank you, very interesting. It's strange how she's got so stroppy so quick, as though slagging off nameless eurocrats is going to help.
All this risible parroting of "strong and stable" reminds me of the programme I heard the other day,
http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/forum/?thread=76021
that if you "frame the discussion" by repeating particular words, then you control how people think.

more that come to mind include calling tax cuts for the wealthy "tax relief"
and social security "benefits"
and suddenly i notice the minimum wage keeps getting beneficially confused with "the living wage", quite a different matter
etc

and then the opposition start using the same words, if only to refute them, and then they're bloody everywhere and everyone's caught up in them even if they don't believe in the concepts.
Rhiannon
5291 posts

May 04, 2017, 15:46
Thank you, very interesting. It's strange how she's got so stroppy so quick, as though slagging off nameless eurocrats is going to help.
All this risible parroting of "strong and stable" reminds me of the programme I heard the other day,
http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/forum/?thread=76021
that if you "frame the discussion" by repeating particular words, then you control how people think.

more that come to mind include calling tax cuts for the wealthy "tax relief"
and social security "benefits"
and suddenly i notice the minimum wage keeps getting beneficially confused with "the living wage", quite a different matter
etc

and then the opposition start using the same words, if only to refute them, and then they're bloody everywhere and everyone's caught up in them even if they don't believe in the concepts.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Edited May 04, 2017, 16:09
May 04, 2017, 16:07
Rhiannon wrote:
It's strange how she's got so stroppy so quick, as though slagging off nameless eurocrats is going to help.

I think there's two things - creating an external enemy is the oldest vote catching tactic in the book, plus, everything bad that's going to come from Brexit is going to be blamed on perfidious Europe, not Brexit or those who told the 52% things would be fine."

The worst thing is that if my explanation is right it means our wonderful lady Prime Minister is fully anticipating it's going to be a shambles.
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Edited May 04, 2017, 16:20
May 04, 2017, 16:17
Rhiannon wrote:
I don't think it's crap, it was a humorous way of pointing out that eternally looking backward to the good old days when Britain was Great, isn't much of a forward-looking plan to a bright brexity future.

It smacks of children whining "but he did X, he started it, I just...."

But maybe the nuances were lost on someone eager to take offence. You can hold any opinion you want as long as you take responsibility for the results of your voting, as far as I'm concerned. It wasn't a personal attack was it. It wasn't even your words, it was a link to someone else's!!!!

I guess we have a different definition of ‘humour’ Rhiannon. By a stretch of the imagination your post (below) might be interpreted as humorous but it was the last word in that post - ‘Jesus’ - that tilted it away from humour to sarcasm.

Correct me if I’m wrong but your -

Rhiannon wrote:
Yeah and don't forget we won the battle of Waterloo, remind them of that. And the world cup in 1966. And generally, that Britons nevernevernever shall be slaves. Etc. Don't mention the battle of Hastings though.

Jesus

- is the first time you’ve commented on this thread. With the exception of just a couple of comments (out of over 200) most people here, on both sides of the election/Brexit issue, have spent considerable time expressing their opinions in a thoughtful manner. You might try doing the same.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6213 posts

May 04, 2017, 16:31
My "own slip up"? Care to elaborate as I have no idea what that means.
Pages: 37 – [ Previous | 120 21 22 23 24 25 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index