Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Edited Jul 19, 2013, 16:46
Tax breaks for Dirty Frackers.
Jul 19, 2013, 13:58
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23368505

Seems, whilst The Government are supposedly clamping down on corporate tax avoidance, not that there's been a great deal of evidence of that so far, Georgie Porgie is happy to dole out tax breaks to the nascent Shale gas and Fracking industry.

Above and beyond the worrying environmental issues involved - would this be on the table at all if they found this gas under London? - it again shows beyond the touchy feely Tory rhetoric, where their black little hearts truly lie.

If the process is, as advertised, relatively simple and cheap and the rewards so great, then why the need for tax breaks at all? Surely the Government would do better to hold on to that revenue source?

And, if you must have it, why not have it a British Industry as owned by the tax payer? We're told that shale gas is the best way to avoid over-reliance on overseas fuel resources.
With George's kindly and tempting tax-break offer, what's to stop foreign investors jumping onboard and essentially selling 'our' own gas back to us at inflated prices?

Does anyone really think, presuming if this all goes ahead and doesn't poison the water or drop Cumbria into the sea, it will mean a reduction in energy bills?

Incidentally, George Osborne's father-in-law is a major lobbyist for energy and gas companies. Well, fancy that!!

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/osborne-accused-over-gas-lobbyist-fatherinlaw-7985001.html

GB PLC - Fracked in the arse by Dirty Frackers once again.
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Re: Tax breaks for Dirty Frackers.
Jul 19, 2013, 15:49
More short-changing of the future for a fast buck. I miss the days when frack was a way for Battlestar Galactica characters to say fuck without getting in trouble.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Jul 19, 2013, 16:32
Felgercarb!
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Jul 20, 2013, 14:33
I love* how governments decry the cost of renewable energy and insist that we can't afford to subsidise it, while simultaneously offering massive tax breaks and other forms of "corporate welfare" to the fossil fuel industry.

* hate
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Jul 20, 2013, 15:52
I keep hearing how it's been so successful in the USA, and indeed it has. (although all this saving and generating 'wealth' and Detroit goes bust?)

But the big woo-hooers seem to forget that America is a VERY BIG PLACE and that the fracking that goes on there is mostly in huge swathes of uninhabited land, not on people's doorsteps.

Plus, can't wait for the water bill for it here.
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Jul 22, 2013, 11:46
I'm pretty sceptical about the magnitude of the "success" of fracking in the United States. It's been pretty productive up to a point, but there are two serious causes for concern.

Firstly - and most obviously - is the environmental damage. There's been a lot of to-ing and fro-ing around this; with some environmentalists insisting that fracking will render parts of America uninhabitable, while the fracking companies insist that the process is entirely benign.

Personally I'd suggest - as is so often the case - that we're looking at something between the two extremes. However, that may still be pretty catastrophic and the long-term effects of fracking on local water tables and wells might be extremely problematic. And yet, funding for investigating these effects has been slashed (this fact alone should make us worried... why are fossil fuel companies lobbying the government to prevent them investigating the effects of fracking? If the process is as benign as they claim, then they should be demanding more research to demonstrate this fact. Not less).

The second issue has to do with the question of exaggerated reserve estimates. I heard one spokesman for a UK-based company interested in fracking claim that Britain could be self-sufficient in fossil fuels for the next two centuries thanks to fracking. The depth of that bullshit can't even be fathomed. In truth, anyone who keeps an eye on the industry trade journals (which for my sins, I tend to) will be aware that there's been a whole lot of exaggeration going on lately. The reasons for this are obvious: a company that claims they've just discovered a monster oil or gas field will get massive investment as a result; and because independent verification of these things is often impossible (depending on the location), the markets are essentially just taking their word on it. The recent huge downgrade of a Brazilian offshore oil field is just one example of this. There is a great deal of speculation that the fracking boom will be a hell of a lot shorter than anyone imagines.

So once again we find ourselves potentially despoiling our planet; shitting in the village well; all in pursuit of a short term solution to a problem that demands a radically different long-term one (i.e. a massive reduction in fossil fuel consumption).
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Aug 03, 2013, 11:03
I was pretty disgusted to see that the Horizon on fracking was pretty much an advert for the process. thought they'd at least look at some of the potentially negative aspects of it but really didn't seem to acknowledge there were any.
& since most of what I've heard otherwise about the process has been negative and shown evidence of why this is negative I was a bit taken aback by it's stance.

Stevo
jshell
333 posts

Meet the Protesters...
Aug 21, 2013, 12:39
http://www.kernelmag.com/features/report/exclusive/4596/i-met-the-fracking-protesters/

What a bunch of fucking clown-shoes!
Lawrence
9547 posts

Re: Meet the Protesters...
Aug 21, 2013, 13:55
Yeah so, those people don't look much different from anybody. I don't get your point.

It's not as if England is the only place that has to deal with the issue. There's plenty of people angry about it in New York State where I am. The so-called 'Democratic' governor won't even look into what effect fracking is going to have on the environment.
Locodogz
Locodogz
254 posts

Re: Meet the Protesters...
Aug 21, 2013, 15:03
hhhmmm

I think the final paragraph

-------------------------------

And then, of course, there were the protest tourists in their trendy specs and nicely ironed t-shirts.
Why have you guys come down here?
“To check it out. It was on the news.”
“Learn a bit about it.”
So you haven’t come down to protest?
“Don’t know yet.”
“Onlooking.”
“See what happens.”
At that point, avoiding the chickpea tea, vegan stew and yoga, I made my way home – but not before capturing a few more pictures.

--------------------------------

Gives the clearest insight into the authors agenda?

Can't actually be arsed to go into everything thats wrong with this
Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index