Topic View: Flat | Threaded
pooley
pooley
501 posts

Re: Public Sector Workers - Reality Check
Jul 09, 2010, 11:49
Merrick wrote:
pooley wrote:
this pathological pathetic hate of a human because he or she wears a uniform shows a much more intolerant, nasty side to you character.

I don't hate a human for wearing a uniform. I'm on first name terms with my postie.

I do hate some people for volunteering for roles that are repressive, vicious and cruel.

More than a little pedantic, old buddy. Ok. Wearingba certain type of uniform. Better??
sanshee
sanshee
1080 posts

Jul 09, 2010, 12:59
Merrick wrote:

I do hate some people for volunteering for roles that are repressive, vicious and cruel.

Yes, well, it seems the main Only?) complaint towards the police here is in the handling of protests and drug laws.

An others?

No?

Perhaps there needs to be a better approach there, but to concede 'that's it, they're all the same' is realy a bit silly, and ungrateful.

No, it ain't perfect, but I do thank my stars I'm not living here or there, that I ain't about to be stoned for adultery (not that I'm about to commit it or nowt), just as I thank my stars I can walk, see, hear etc.

This old world wide human experiment has many flaws, we're fucking LUCKY where we are.

Insofar as 'roles' go, no one except the police were willing to remove the old guy a few doors down who'd be lying dead for five weeks.

Gah, that's it.

x
keith a
9572 posts

Jul 09, 2010, 19:46
Grow up.
pooley
pooley
501 posts

Jul 09, 2010, 20:37
keith a wrote:
Grow up.

Wonder who merrick would have deal with this rothbury thing
PMM
PMM
3155 posts

Edited Jul 09, 2010, 22:41
Jul 09, 2010, 22:35
Am I the only one seeing what's actually being said here?

Surely, Keith, you don't think that the fact that the police play a positive role gives them a right to brutalise?

As far as I can see, the police do have two roles. One is to maintain the peace, and the other is to maintain the status quo.

I don't have a problem with their role as peacekeepers. Indeed, I have great respect for their courage in doing a job I would not be prepared to do myself.
But we also have an "entrenched political-economic system with an autoimmune disorder that makes it resist needed reform as though it were some invading disease" to quote someone else. And the police are part of that too. Whatever it takes. Even if it means beating the shit out of unarmed and non-violent people.

As far as I'm concerned, most people become police officers to do the former. I don't think most police officers go into the job so that they can beat up demonstrators.

Yet they follow orders, even when those orders conflict with their first role. Time after time.
keith a
9572 posts

Jul 09, 2010, 23:13
PMM wrote:

Surely, Keith, you don't think that the fact that the police play a positive role gives them a right to brutalise?

Please tell me when I even remotely suggested that I thought this.

Actually don't bother. You know I didn't.
PMM
PMM
3155 posts

Jul 09, 2010, 23:17
And I never suggested that you did. What you DID do is tell someone who condemned this behavious to grow up.

You can see that this gives the impression that you think anyone that disagrees with police brutality is immature, can't you?
keith a
9572 posts

Jul 09, 2010, 23:29
PMM wrote:
And I never suggested that you did.

Actually you kinda did as it happens.

Well that was my interpretation. I'm clearly mistaken.

PMM wrote:

What you DID do is tell someone who condemned this behavious to grow up.

I do think he needs to grow up. And I'm not alone on that so I'm not really sure why I'm being singled out here.

PMM wrote:

You can see that this gives the impression that you think anyone that disagrees with police brutality is immature, can't you?

No, not really. That's your interpretation. I never said anything of the sort.
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Edited Jul 09, 2010, 23:50
Jul 09, 2010, 23:42
"and I never suggested that you did."

...so why the fuck did you suggest it then??
It was clearly my interpretation that you did too.
PMM
PMM
3155 posts

Jul 09, 2010, 23:56
keith a wrote:
I do think he needs to grow up. And I'm not alone on that so I'm not really sure why I'm being singled out here.

I got fed up with arguing with Pooley :)

I do agree that Merrick's position does come across as being somewhat absolutist. Even Grufty Jim disagreed with Merrick on this one.

Still, as I've said elsewhere in this thread. You can break complicated issues down into simple chunks. Glad you agree that the police are wrong to beat up unarmed demonstrators.
Pages: 20 – [ Previous | 113 14 15 16 17 18 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index