17 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Merrick
Merrick
2148 posts

Re: Anti-terror laws are unlawful
Jan 14, 2010, 11:19
pooley wrote:
I have no problem with police stopping anyone as long as they have a valid and lawful reason to do so.

The thing is that they often have a a lawful reason thanks to the 'dodgy laws' you mention. And, as far as the judicial system's concerned, 'lawful' and 'valid' are synonymous.

This time we've been saved by the European Convention on Human Rights and the tenacity of those who took it all the way to europe. There are dozens of other laws that are routinely used to harass people of colour or restrict peaceful protest.

I'm struggling to think of a law made in the last 20 years designed to protect us from terrorism and anti-social behaviour that hasn't been used in that way. The Protection From Harassment Act - supposedly to defend vulnerable women against stalker ex partners - is most commonly used to get injunctions to defend corporations from peaceful protests. I've seen people who pulled up GM crops convicted under the Public Order Act for 'disorderly or threatening behaviour', a section aimed at pissed up tossers putting traffic cones on their heads.

And as for the Serious Organised Crime and Police Act, see what Monbiot has to say about it
http://www.monbiot.com/archives/2005/02/22/protest-as-harassment/

Agreed that the reining in of the Terrorism Act is a great thing, but the state still has a vast armoury left.

U-Know! Forum Index