Head To Head
Register
U-Know! Forum »
It's really gonna kick off (well....maybe)

90 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Rolling Ronnie
Rolling Ronnie
1468 posts

Re: It's really gonna kick off (well....maybe)
Oct 20, 2009, 15:54
grufty jim wrote:
I just don't think Question Time is the appropriate forum for the BNP. Inviting them to participate in a mainstream political debate, to be just one opinion among many, is to normalise the fascist voice. Which is a bloody awful thing to be doing.

Interview them, certainly. I'm not suggesting active censorship. But don't invite them to the discussion table. We know exactly where that kind of ethnic nationalism leads. It has an established track record. And when they appear in the media, that's the context they should be presented in.

Allowing them to share a platform with mainstream political figures, affording them the same time and space to air their views, preventing interruptions and treating their words with official respect...? Even these things indicate a level of acceptance of the BNP vision that should make us uncomfortable.

Have we really not learned anything when it comes to this particular ideology? It should never be normalised. The BBC have dropped the ball on this one.

I can't agree with you on this. In many ways it's the perfect place for them. It's not giving them a platform where they can spout forth their bile, unchallenged. It's not 'normalising' them because society has already done that by showing the tolerance to accept that free speech allows them a place in society and that parts of society, by supporting them in sufficient numbers, have allowed them to have some influence.

I very much doubt that the BBC will bring them onto a QT where much is discussed except the issues where they have challenging views. By exposing them to challenge and accountability to the public through the studio audience and from their fellow panellists, I believe there is the greatest opportunity yet for them to be seen in their true light and do themselves significant damage thoughout the country as a whole. If that happens, the BBC truly will have provided a public service!
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index