Merrick....

79 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
PMM
PMM
3155 posts

Re: Merrick....
Nov 04, 2005, 21:03
I am a fan of Merrick's writing. He writes calmly and coherently, even in the face of those that blatently have no interest in listening.

What I don't understand is why you insist on responding as if you've been attacked.

I'm a small businessman too. My trade is to put more people in cars, driving on Britain's congested roads, using up the earths deposits of metal and fossil fuels, and adding to the sum total of co2 released into the atmosphere. It's what I've spent a long time working towards, from before I became more aware of such issues, and I know that really I should be finding another way to feed my family. But I'm not going to, until the oil peak and it's attendant dislocations force me to, or until some other reason intervenes.

Yet I take on board what the good people on this board have to say. I've read beyond what I see on here, and I have no doubt that what Merrick, Grufty Jim, etc say will happen, will happen. I don't attack them for challenging the role I play. Such posts criticise not me, but the society of which I'm a part.

"that's another big problem, the people who can't separate the authority and the people who have the authority vested in them. You see that a lot on the demonstrations, they have the concept that The Law and Law Enforcement are one. They're demonstrating against the Police Department, actually against policemen". - Lenny Bruce

So the discerning writer and reader can understand that opposition to Capitalism is not the same thing as a personal attack on small businessmen. Opposition to our current lifestyles takes place in full knowledge and sympathy for those living it, who know of no other way.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index