The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
The Modern Antiquarian - Cope's Notes 5

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6217 posts

The Modern Antiquarian - Cope's Notes 5
Oct 19, 2023, 14:41
In the Merchandiser now (and the T shirt is back too).

https://www.headheritage.co.uk/merchandiser/item/HHPRESS8/

For those of you who haven't indulged before, the Cope's Notes series of releases are booklet with CD retrospectives , spoken word plus music, focusing on particular Cope releases or periods past. Really beautifully packaged (Avalon has been doing the design on them I think).
markj99
11 posts

Re: The Modern Antiquarian - Cope's Notes 5
Oct 27, 2023, 13:59
Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I received the CD/Booklet yesterday. The booklet is the star of the show, containing fascinating insights into the creation of The Modern Antiquarian. It is also beautifully designed.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6217 posts

Oct 27, 2023, 20:38
markj99 wrote:
Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I received the CD/Booklet yesterday. The booklet is the star of the show, containing fascinating insights into the creation of The Modern Antiquarian. It is also beautifully designed.

Mine came this week too, it's a lovely thing. Glad you managed to get one.
costaexpress
77 posts

Oct 31, 2023, 14:11
Reading the notes led me back to his two books and reminded me what a delight they are, and also, reading his field notes, how much easier google has made it to seek out the stones we chose
a suaver harv
3 posts

Edited Nov 02, 2023, 22:45
Nov 02, 2023, 21:33
I've been enjoying the TMA Cope's Notes, both the music and the book.

It's hard to believe the book's 25 years old. I started visiting megalithic sites in 1990, so the book was eagerly awaited by me, we knew it was coming years before. I got it for Xmas 1998 and it was one of the first 20,000. It certainly didn't disappoint. My copy is battered and falling apart now, but I wouldn't swap it for the world, and Cope signed it for me at a book event in Birmingham. It's been to Callanish, Brodgar, Cork, Land's End, even Shropshire! It's well-travelled.
Oh yea, in Cope's Notes, he dismisses the 1hr TV promo he did as 'crap'. It worked for me though, I've watched it many times and enjoyed it. I got it on a fuzzy DVD. Years later, a longer version appeared on Youtube, with added Polisher Stone stuff on.
Kwoo
60 posts

Edited Nov 05, 2023, 10:26
Nov 05, 2023, 09:31
I agree on the TMA show being far from crap. It's very rewatchable and incredibly quotable. I often wish he'd done the series, but I guess maybe he didn't enjoy doing it enough. Filming can kinda sap the fun outta what you're trying to capture if you'd prefer to just be present in doing it.

There is great reading in the booklet, too. Still gotta give the disk a spin tho.

In the booklet, I clocked one small error. I'm not sure where he got his translation of "Knocknarea" (Cnoic Na Rí) as meaning "Hill of the God", but it's actually "Hill of The King" (Rí = King). "Hill of the God" would something like "Cnoic an Dia" or "Cnoic na Dé"

Which is not to say that the King / Queen ("BanRÍon", or "Ladyking" Meabh) buried therein were not considered to be gods (they're very active in Irish mythology). It's just that the evidence isn't in the name.

I once lived on a road named after this mountain. Something was on fire every day, usually by small children with baseball bats.
olly
102 posts

Feb 13, 2024, 13:19
I got a copy and a t shirt- would be great to see that book on the Prophets one day...
The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index