'Scotland's Sacred Islands' with Ben Fogle

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

'Scotland's Sacred Islands' with Ben Fogle
Oct 31, 2021, 17:18
I had recorded 'Scotland's Sacred Islands' but it can be picked up on BBC iplayer.
Its incredible beauty aside the spiritual element may not appeal to everyone - Ben Fogle describes himself very much as on a pilgrimage. Whatever you think about that when he gets to Harris and Lewis it is worth the journey - he meets up with archaeologist Ian McHardy and climbs a challenging sea stack. Here Ian McHardy talks about a dig back in 2005 where 300 fragments of pottery were found in a relatively small area and evidence of burning/cremation on the artificial plateau on top of the stack.
Also some amazing aerial shots of Callanish and ending on Bosta beach.

Quite therapeutic I thought.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0010txl/scotlands-sacred-islands-with-ben-fogle-series-1-3-northern-outer-hebrides
thispoison
thispoison
253 posts

Edited Nov 01, 2021, 07:12
Re: 'Scotland's Sacred Islands' with Ben Fogle
Nov 01, 2021, 07:06
Scotland - the playground of the English rich for hundreds of years. Are we going to get reparations for the Highland clearances, or the Culloden massacre? Are we fuck.

Did you know the BBC charges 'Question Time' to the BBC Scotland budget? This kind of chicanery is done to make it look like Scotland gets its share. While they forever spunk millions on the English national team, like they are the "British" team.

The British Unionist Broadcasting Corporation can get tae fuck.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Nov 01, 2021, 12:24
thispoison wrote:
Scotland - the playground of the English rich for hundreds of years. Are we going to get reparations for the Highland clearances, or the Culloden massacre? Are we fuck.

Did you know the BBC charges 'Question Time' to the BBC Scotland budget? This kind of chicanery is done to make it look like Scotland gets its share. While they forever spunk millions on the English national team, like they are the "British" team.

How illuminating. Thank you.
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2557 posts

Nov 01, 2021, 12:55
tjj wrote:
thispoison wrote:

Sorry Tjj :-(
thelonious
330 posts

Nov 01, 2021, 13:23
Thanks for the reminder tjj. I watched the one before where he visited The Uists. Lovely Scenery. I'll have to catch up with this one :-)
Howburn Digger
Howburn Digger
986 posts

Nov 02, 2021, 17:42
tjj wrote:
I had recorded 'Scotland's Sacred Islands' but it can be picked up on BBC iplayer.
Its incredible beauty aside the spiritual element may not appeal to everyone - Ben Fogle describes himself very much as on a pilgrimage. Whatever you think about that when he gets to Harris and Lewis it is worth the journey - he meets up with archaeologist Ian McHardy and climbs a challenging sea stack. Here Ian McHardy talks about a dig back in 2005 where 300 fragments of pottery were found in a relatively small area and evidence of burning/cremation on the artificial plateau on top of the stack.
Also some amazing aerial shots of Callanish and ending on Bosta beach.

Quite therapeutic I thought.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0010txl/scotlands-sacred-islands-with-ben-fogle-series-1-3-northern-outer-hebrides

I could have done with the visuals only rather than the pithy "spiritual" content which was taken up with how Prince Charles had visited an English Woman who had moved to Harris. It was exhausting trying to control my gag reflex - but this programme was worth it for the scenery and the archaeology. I just wish they would take their "mindfulness" and "Royal Family" and "Spirituality" and leave the Natural History, History and Archaeology to speak for itself.
My own ancestors were driven off Dun Eistean at Port of Ness.
thispoison
thispoison
253 posts

Nov 02, 2021, 21:17
drewbhoy wrote:
tjj wrote:
thispoison wrote:

Sorry for what?
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Nov 03, 2021, 01:15
Nov 03, 2021, 01:11
thispoison wrote:
drewbhoy wrote:
tjj wrote:
thispoison wrote:

Sorry for what?

Do you really need that explained or are you just looking for an argument. You sound very angry about some grave historic injustices and the BBC in general (I don't know much about how it allocates its budget but chicanery is a good word). You had absolutely nothing to say about the programme or its content. Howburn Digger on the other clearly did watch it and made some valid criticisms - Ben Fogle as a presenter is definitely not everyone's cuppa. Drewbhoy has posted on this forum for quite some time and is always courteous or otherwise doesn't bother. I'm guessing he thought I may have been offended by your outrage. I wasn't, just a wee bit bored.
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2557 posts

Edited Nov 03, 2021, 11:15
Nov 03, 2021, 11:11
thispoison wrote:
drewbhoy wrote:
tjj wrote:
thispoison wrote:

Sorry for what?

Whilst I might agree with a lot of your points, and I'm a staunch supporter of Scottish Independence, always have been, always will be, this is hardly the place for such comments or language in reply to Tjj highlighting the fact that there was/is a programme on the TV that would show a few prehistoric sites. Whatever the programme's vocal content, the scenery is fantastic and I'm glad to say I've been to all the islands concerned. So my sorry to Tjj was apologise for your misplaced rant, Howburn got it right with his comments, as he also said worth watching for the scenery and archaeology as well.

Such comments would be better placed in the Head to Head section of this website, and the language improved. As for Tjj, hope you're doing well and you're welcome to Aberdeenshire anytime :-)
Howburn Digger
Howburn Digger
986 posts

Nov 03, 2021, 23:30
tjj wrote:
Howburn Digger on the other clearly did watch it and made some valid criticisms - Ben Fogle as a presenter is definitely not everyone's cuppa.

I really don't have a problem with Ben Fogle. He is as BBC predictable as a cup of tepid low-caffeine coffee with three sugars plus a handful of Marshmallows dropped in as well! Not the way I like my coffee...!

The use of drones and the really magnificent camera work used by these programme directors is quite breathtaking. Even with relatively small parts of their content devoted to Archaeology, these programmes are right up TMA's street and we are looking at landscapes very little or only lightly touched since the Bronze or early Iron Age. Aerial shots show up the modern roads, little new build houses, ruined cotts and patches of old rig and furrow but aside from that - it is as fresh as Creation and Mother Nature left it. I've been over there a few times now and the landscape's beauty actually hurts. I remember visiting the radar missile tracking station and loving the fact I could see St Kilda from the car park area on top of Clettraval beside the radar dome, a Sea Eagle flew overhead and I walked twenty yards down to a couple of massive chambered cairns. Back at the car park the guy (Mr Fergusson - two s's) driving the minibus around passed me a beautiful Neolithic Flint Axe he'd picked up of the ground a few weeks earlier.... he kept it in his minibus glove compartment...

My ill feeling about the programme were really to do with the sections where it appeared to be equating a sense of spirituality with the presence of Prince Charles. As if a Windsor's arrival at a croft bestowed some Godly wisdom on the place and its apparent Royal-Loving forelock-tugging yokels. This section of the programme harked directly at some kind of divine right of kingship. Charles Windsor as a God-appointed righteous ruler and font of nameless spirituality and green-wisdom. Aaaargh! Instead for me it breathed great volumes of rank condescending Windsor halitosis across the islands, the wilderness, the ancient history and those who currently live there. It really made me want to vomit and seemed to channel the worst of the empty spirituality, questionable 'mindfulness' and the worthless personal playdough of the roll-your-own ball of 'Me-ism' posing as "Spirituality" in the FB, Amazon, Air B'n'B new normal. I've got it all out now.

Just give me the archaeology, the long shots of the beautiful beaches and the strange counterpoint of Radar Missile Tracking overlooking St Kilda!
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index