Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Jul 23, 2021, 21:17
Could Stonehenge be stripped of its World Heritage Status
Jul 23, 2021, 20:22
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/jul/23/stonehenge-could-be-stripped-of-world-heritage-site-status

Well! Almost everyone thought the tunnel was a bad idea.
GLADMAN
950 posts

Re: Could Stonehenge be stripped of its World Heritage Status
Jul 24, 2021, 00:49
tjj wrote:

How moronic.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Edited Jul 24, 2021, 10:29
Jul 24, 2021, 10:27
It's a fair bet the Government has long factored that in and will concoct a Stonehenge Landscape Eternal Protection Body or similar, to crow about.

Incidentally, note the Guardian's photograph making the road seem vastly more intrusive than it is. Mugs.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Jul 24, 2021, 16:11
nigelswift wrote:
It's a fair bet the Government has long factored that in and will concoct a Stonehenge Landscape Eternal Protection Body or similar, to crow about.

Incidentally, note the Guardian's photograph making the road seem vastly more intrusive than it is. Mugs.

I don't understand the context of your word 'Mugs' Nigel ... do you mean the Guardian newspaper. Stonehenge and Avebury were inscribed together as World Heritage sites by Unesco in 1986 (this I know you know). So if Stonehenge lost its status as a result of the tunnel being built, would Avebury also lose out. I've made no secret of the fact I oppose both the short and long tunnel. This is just my personal opinion.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Jul 24, 2021, 16:14
GLADMAN wrote:
tjj wrote:

How moronic.

How discourteous and lacking in forum etiquette.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Edited Jul 24, 2021, 19:02
Jul 24, 2021, 18:59
"Mugs" relates to The Guardian for selecting an image that suggests there's a bigger need for a tunnel than is the case.

Yes, since both Stonehenge and Avebury are part of the same World Heritage Site I suppose they would both end up lacking world scrutiny, to their detriment.

BTW, if I bought a wheelbarrow could you take me up Adam's Grave the next time you go? :)
GLADMAN
950 posts

Jul 25, 2021, 01:24
tjj wrote:
GLADMAN wrote:
tjj wrote:

How moronic.

I would request you apologise for your error but, whatever. Suffice to say, you really should think a little before jumping to conclusions.

For the record: I am clearly referring to UNESCO's pathetic political posturing. And 'The Guardian's indefensible anti-government bias. To highlight this further etc, etc, etc, I made a trip to Mynydd Llangynderyn last week. Where? Exactly... you need to get out more and appreciate there is a much bigger world beyond where the Guardian luvvies are prepared to travel on expenses.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jul 25, 2021, 07:35
Crumbs. Personally I don't think UNESCO's opposition to the tunnel in its current form is pathetic political posturing. It has a lot of substance actually.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6210 posts

Jul 25, 2021, 14:07
I agree, as Liverpool is presumably just learning.

Anyway, if anyone doesn't want to read about it in indefensible anti-government publications, here's the same story reported in the Daily Mail:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9821257/Stonehenge-follow-Liverpool-losing-UNESCO-world-heritage-site-A303-plan-goes-ahead.html
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Jul 27, 2021, 20:28
Jul 27, 2021, 13:17
GLADMAN wrote:
tjj wrote:
GLADMAN wrote:
tjj wrote:

How moronic.

I would request you apologise for your error but, whatever. Suffice to say, you really should think a little before jumping to conclusions.

For the record: I am clearly referring to UNESCO's pathetic political posturing. And 'The Guardian's indefensible anti-government bias. To highlight this further etc, etc, etc, I made a trip to Mynydd Llangynderyn last week. Where? Exactly... you need to get out more and appreciate there is a much bigger world beyond where the Guardian luvvies are prepared to travel on expenses.

I have waited a while to reply to this as frankly couldn't really be arsed in getting drawn into a petty squabble. I get it that a lot of people switch off when Stonehenge is mentioned. Possible loss of it's World Heritage status is an important story for newspapers to cover though - hardly moronic (what a sad redundant word). No apology will be forthcoming Robert Gladman but do carry on exploring far flung, little known sites - presuming you drive a car. I do not - so make the most of Wiltshire where I live.
Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index