The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Where's this please

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
nigelswift
8112 posts

Where's this please
Jun 25, 2021, 08:42
"For Detectival 2021 we have arranged a brand new site, this NEW site sits in south Gloucestershire very close to the Wiltshire boarder.
The new site is in a very historically rich area with everything from standing stones and burial mounds to Roman villas and settlements and Medieval deer parks and much more.
With a beautiful late medieval building sitting in the middle of the site and with a Roman settlement one side of our site and Roman Villa on the other side of the site as well as a number of other features within the search area from crop marks to trackways we will be sure to see some interesting finds..
We can not give you the exact location of the event until closer to the time, we will give little hints and tips as to the area and its history as we get closer to the September Detectival."

Thanks
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6214 posts

Re: Where's this please
Jun 25, 2021, 16:50
Not many standing stones in south Gloucestershire. Also, is this "South Gloucestershire" or "south" Gloucestershire (if you see what I mean)?
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6214 posts

Jun 25, 2021, 17:03
Best guess is near Badminton in South Gloucestershire. Deer park, Roman villa and settlement and The Grickstone.

https://historicengland.org.uk/advice/heritage-at-risk/search-register/list-entry/43254
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jun 25, 2021, 17:51
I think you may have it!
Someone has just told me "There's only one deer park in that area of South Glos as far as I know, that is at Dyrham."
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jun 25, 2021, 18:11
And this could be the "beautiful late medieval building sitting in the middle of the site" - Dyrham House https://edocs.southglos.gov.uk/dyrhamconservationarea/pages/dyrhamconservationarea/

Just need to check if there's "a Roman settlement one side of our site and Roman Villa on the other side of the site" and we should have it pinned down, no further clues needed.

Which would be a help, as Detectival is no ordinary event, and often attracts a thousand participants from every corner of Europe.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jun 25, 2021, 18:23
Aha! The Battle of Deorham... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Deorham

"The Anglo-Saxon Chronicle entry for 577 records that that year King Ceawlin of Wessex and his young son Cuthwine fought the Britons of the West Country at "the spot that is called [Deorham]". This is generally taken to be Dyrham in what is now South Gloucestershire, on the Cotswolds escarpment a few miles north of Bath. The West Saxons carried the day, and three kings of the Britons, whose names are given as Conmail, Condidan, and Farinmail, were slain. As a result of the battle, the West Saxons took three important cities, Glevum, Corinium Dobunnorum, and Aquae Sulis, representing Gloucestershire and Worcestershire east of the Severn, and a small part of northeastern Somerset.[1]"
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6214 posts

Jun 25, 2021, 20:01
nigelswift wrote:
I think you may have it!
Someone has just told me "There's only one deer park in that area of South Glos as far as I know, that is at Dyrham."

I guess it could be either. Badminton definitely has a Roman settlement and villa in close proximity (as per my EH link), as well as a deer park. Also Badminton is nearer to a standing stone than Dyrham as far as I can tell.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6214 posts

Jun 25, 2021, 20:04
thesweetcheat wrote:
nigelswift wrote:
I think you may have it!

I guess it could be either. Badminton definitely has a Roman settlement and villa in close proximity (as per my EH link), as well as a deer park. Also Badminton is nearer to a standing stone than Dyrham as far as I can tell.

Oh and the house at Badminton is late medieval (but much altered).
https://www.badmintonestate.com/the-estate/history/
nigelswift
8112 posts

Edited Jun 25, 2021, 20:36
Jun 25, 2021, 20:34
Sorry, I got distracted, and am getting a bit bumbling. Yes of course it's Badminton. I'll have to do some more sleuthing, but I can do without being put to the trouble by these game-playing bloody locusts.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6214 posts

Jun 25, 2021, 22:18
nigelswift wrote:
Sorry, I got distracted, and am getting a bit bumbling. Yes of course it's Badminton. I'll have to do some more sleuthing, but I can do without being put to the trouble by these game-playing bloody locusts.

Be interesting to see of it's actually on the estate.
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index