The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Rempstone Stone Circle »
Rempstone stone circle

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
ironstone
62 posts

Rempstone stone circle
Dec 21, 2020, 15:42
I'm puzzled; I have a 1930s Shell Guide by Paul Nash that refers to a circle near Studland Bay called Rempstone, saying it's close to a road like Winterbourne Abbas. In Burl's 'The Stone Circles etc' he writes about Rempstone saying it 'lies wrecked at the margin of a wood amongst the bracken.' You can see pictures of it on Google Maps (it's by the B3351 west of Wareham) and although they bear out that 'wrecked' description a couple of its reviewers reckon it's worth a look. How come it's not on TMA? Or am I missing it because it's called something else?
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6210 posts

Re: Rempstone stone circle
Dec 21, 2020, 16:08
Not this one?

https://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/48/rempstone_stone_circle.html
ironstone
62 posts

Dec 22, 2020, 11:18
That's it; I keyed in 'rempstone' and looked under the general heading 'Dorset' but nothing came up. Wierd. And there was me foolishly thinking I might have 'discovered' a circle not on TMA......
Monganaut
Monganaut
2373 posts

Dec 22, 2020, 20:27
I remember visiting Rempstone one awful Autumn day. Sideways rain followed by a heavy mist coming down. You could only see about 50 ft ahead, even up on top of the Studland hills amongst the barrows. By the time I'd found the circle it was very dull and moody amongst the trees, and I'd swear someone was following me. Put the willies up me proper good. I'd only gone cos' the day prior, my Pops had done the walk and told me how wonderful the views were across the bay from the hills.
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Dec 23, 2020, 11:09
He's right! The views from the ridge from Studland are pretty nice! There are some lovely walks around there. There are several lovely circular walks from the National Trust car park by the Bankes Arms, up past Old Harry, along the ridge past the barrows on Nine Barrows Down and either on to Corfe and back again, or straight down through the woods to Rempstone. On a sunny day it's almost perfect. :)

G x
Monganaut
Monganaut
2373 posts

Dec 23, 2020, 20:21
I'll get back there sometime. My Pa's pics were lovely, made me realise what I couldn't see :) Did manage to round off the day with a ride on a steam train though.....which was nice.
The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index