Stonehenge and its Environs »
Stonehenge Tunnel Decision

Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
thelonious
330 posts

Re: Stonehenge Tunnel Decision
Nov 16, 2020, 18:51
Worth a read. Maybe a little off topic, maybe not. Either way thought it might be of interest.

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/00665983.2020.1769399
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6216 posts

Nov 18, 2020, 08:53
Another thoughtful take on the subject from an archaeologist, Dr Lisa-Marie Shillito:

"We must remember that news stories and popular writing are ultimately where people outside academia base their knowledge and opinions, and if we spin things, or even get it outright wrong, it can be very hard to change peoples’ views."

http://castlesandcoprolites.blogspot.com/2020/11/stonehenge-is-in-news-again.html?m=1
nigelswift
8112 posts

Edited Nov 18, 2020, 13:39
Nov 18, 2020, 09:48
I'd make three simple points:

1. This is not just a case of well-informed experts versus shouty, headline-seeking campaigners. UNESCO, numerous archaeologists, and the Government's own planning executive are entirely against the short tunnel but have been ignored. [See for instance this withering statement by Rescue: https://rescue-archaeology.org.uk/2020/11/rescue-says-a303-stonehenge-dco-granted-a-sad-day-for-our-archaeological-heritage/?fbclid=IwAR2wT2m-Vndieuucgl5Yi5_Rd4hb_c668munXlCallO44vf8-I3LaPITGqI

2. This is a road project, not a conservation/improvement one. It is being painted as the latter by NT, EH, and HE only because the Government asked them to.

3. This could all be solved at a stroke by spending more money on a longer tunnel.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Nov 19, 2020, 20:15
nigelswift wrote:
I'd make three simple points:

1. This is not just a case of well-informed experts versus shouty, headline-seeking campaigners. UNESCO, numerous archaeologists, and the Government's own planning executive are entirely against the short tunnel but have been ignored. [See for instance this withering statement by Rescue: https://rescue-archaeology.org.uk/2020/11/rescue-says-a303-stonehenge-dco-granted-a-sad-day-for-our-archaeological-heritage/?fbclid=IwAR2wT2m-Vndieuucgl5Yi5_Rd4hb_c668munXlCallO44vf8-I3LaPITGqI

2. This is a road project, not a conservation/improvement one. It is being painted as the latter by NT, EH, and HE only because the Government asked them to.

3. This could all be solved at a stroke by spending more money on a longer tunnel.

I definitely agree with points 1 and 2 - especially point 2 but haven't yet worked out quite why they are being so compliant. I understand English Heritage is funded by Government grants. The National Trust state the following "We are a charity, independent of government. ... We do however make applications every year to a range of competitive grant schemes, primarily to support our project work (through central and local government, European government, and through sources such as Lottery funds)."

One of the things that has been bothering me about all this is the knowledge there are still buried stones out at Avebury and along the Beckhampton Avenue which are being left undisturbed for posterity in the hope of future developments in carbon dating and excavation methods. An ethical decision I don't dispute. Why then does Stonehenge not get the same rationale applied.

As for point 3 - I thought I disagreed with this on the grounds of the massive cost involved plus the inevitable destruction of the locale but since having those thoughts have now heard on the news that this Government wants to considerably increase spending on Defence plus launch a rocket in the near future. What is left to say.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Nov 20, 2020, 01:39
"but haven't yet worked out quite why they are being so compliant."

In the case of EH, they'll have a virtual viewing monopoly, which is worth a bob or two although their supporters say that's purely coincidental.

As for NT, who knows? But the Countryside Alliance makes them continue supporting trail hunting on their land so they're open to malign influences.

The money, yes, in the scheme of things it's peanuts to solve it. There's now talk that the B'ham to Leeds leg of HS2 is to be abandoned, that's worth a good few miles of extra tunnel, as is bloody Trident every year.
GLADMAN
950 posts

Nov 21, 2020, 23:50
nigelswift wrote:
Like June, I don't want to get into a forum argument about this. Also these days I'm like an aged trout that can't be bothered to rise.

It's a shame though, the biggest deal in TMA history can't be discussed.

The biggest deal in TMA history???? So you honestly, REALLY think, that what is happening at Stonehenge transcends what is happening EVERY day at thousands of over sites across the UK? Honestly? Really? You should get out more. Talk to REAL people. My god, I pity you.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Edited Nov 22, 2020, 06:17
Nov 22, 2020, 06:15
GLADMAN wrote:
You should get out more. Talk to REAL people. My god, I pity you.

Charming. That's why it can't be discussed.
It's my sincere opinion that removing 4 million cubic feet of the archaeological levels of the most famous protected prehistoric World Heritage landscape is a bit annoying.

What a monster I am.

But here's a tip for dealing with monsters: don't reply.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Nov 22, 2020, 15:16
GLADMAN wrote:
nigelswift wrote:

It's a shame though, the biggest deal in TMA history can't be discussed.

The biggest deal in TMA history???? So you honestly, REALLY think, that what is happening at Stonehenge transcends what is happening EVERY day at thousands of over sites across the UK? Honestly? Really? You should get out more. Talk to REAL people. My god, I pity you.

Well lets hear about them then Gladman though not necessarily on this thread which was put here primarily for information. There is plenty of in depth generally polite Stonehenge Tunnel discussion going on elsewhere on various archaeology Facebook sites. Plus a friend tells me there is a piece in yesterday's Times which I haven't seen yet. I have always appreciated your posts Gladman and was taken aback by your comment to the Venerable Nigel. I guess we all need to get out more. Oh bugger ...
nigelswift
8112 posts

Nov 22, 2020, 19:06
"VENERABLE":
(in the Roman Catholic Church) a title given to a deceased person who has attained a certain degree of sanctity but has not been fully beatified or canonized.
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7718 posts

Nov 22, 2020, 20:12
Being in the grave will certainly limit your getting out options.
Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index