Head To Head
Log In
Register
The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
‘henge’ discovered in Bucks - but not for long
Log In to post a reply

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
nix
nix
194 posts

‘henge’ discovered in Bucks - but not for long
Sep 15, 2020, 15:59
It's difficult to know what to think about this stuff isn't it?
On one hand, if it had't been for blooming HS2, it probably wouldn't have been found, but on the other, it will now be trashed by the works

https://www.railstaff.co.uk/2020/07/13/murder-victim-and-timber-henge-discovered-in-buckinghamshire-by-hs2-archaeologists/

Ed - worth listing as a site, albeit briefly?

Interesting story about the murder victim but who speaks like this in real life?

Mike Court, HS2 lead archaeologist said: “Before we build the low-carbon high-speed railway between London and Birmingham, we are uncovering a wealth of archaeology that will enrich our cultural heritage"
Howburn Digger
Howburn Digger
942 posts

Re: ‘henge’ discovered in Bucks - but not for long
Sep 15, 2020, 19:37
nix wrote:
Mike Court, HS2 lead archaeologist said: “Before we build the low-carbon high-speed railway between London and Birmingham, we are uncovering a wealth of archaeology that will enrich our cultural heritage"


I wet myself at the "low Carbon" bit. Really, really funny. Also funny is the bit about enriching our cultural heritage.

"high-speed" is also quite funny as well.

HS2 is just brilliant for everything.
tjj
tjj
3561 posts

Re: ‘henge’ discovered in Bucks - but not for long
Sep 15, 2020, 21:17
nix wrote:
It's difficult to know what to think about this stuff isn't it?
On one hand, if it had't been for blooming HS2, it probably wouldn't have been found, but on the other, it will now be trashed by the works

https://www.railstaff.co.uk/2020/07/13/murder-victim-and-timber-henge-discovered-in-buckinghamshire-by-hs2-archaeologists/

Ed - worth listing as a site, albeit briefly?

Interesting story about the murder victim but who speaks like this in real life?

Mike Court, HS2 lead archaeologist said: “Before we build the low-carbon high-speed railway between London and Birmingham, we are uncovering a wealth of archaeology that will enrich our cultural heritage"


Thanks for this Nix - it is of course of great interest but they are about to destroy it along with swathes of woodland and countryside all in the name of 'progress'. Personally I would have preferred to not know the henge was there, would have been happy to let the ancient man, who apparently died a violent death, rest in peace - along with all the wildlife that has been destroyed. In fact I would go as far to say Mike Court, HS2 lead archaeologist has sold his soul to the devil (if I believed in such). I can't see how anything brought to light by HS2 will enrich our cultural heritage in spite of talk about 'a wealth of archaeology'.
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7570 posts

Oh! The Irony!
Sep 15, 2020, 22:20
HS2 work in Birmingham has uncovered the remains of the oldest railway roundhouse and turntable base in the world.

Because the remains are not in the path of the new tracks, they will form part of the landscaping of the site.
nigelswift
8001 posts

Re: ‘henge’ discovered in Bucks - but not for long
Sep 16, 2020, 07:57
tjj wrote:
Personally I would have preferred to not know the henge was there, would have been happy to let the ancient man, who apparently died a violent death, rest in peace


In some places you get your wish June. I remember a road engineer saying to me how they'd hurriedly covered up a burial in the path of the M54 before it caused a "delay". And these days Highways England blatantly say they will only sieve a small percentage of the soil at Stonehenge as to do it all would be "too expensive".

On balance though I'd rather know what had been destroyed. Actually, nearly everything IS, roads don't bend, and they hide behind the "preserved by record" falsehood. But if I didn't know about the destruction what would I have to rant about?!?
tjj
tjj
3561 posts

Re: ‘henge’ discovered in Bucks - but not for long
Sep 16, 2020, 09:33
nigelswift wrote:
tjj wrote:
Personally I would have preferred to not know the henge was there, would have been happy to let the ancient man, who apparently died a violent death, rest in peace


In some places you get your wish June. I remember a road engineer saying to me how they'd hurriedly covered up a burial in the path of the M54 before it caused a "delay". And these days Highways England blatantly say they will only sieve a small percentage of the soil at Stonehenge as to do it all would be "too expensive".

On balance though I'd rather know what had been destroyed. Actually, nearly everything IS, roads don't bend, and they hide behind the "preserved by record" falsehood. But if I didn't know about the destruction what would I have to rant about?!?


Hi Nigel, your posts always make me think, so thank you. I think perhaps my point was misunderstood which, given this situation is such a quandary, is easy to see why. I meant of course I would rather the HS2 wasn't being built (am very much on the side of Chris Packham). I would rather the land, woods and homes that are in its path were left undisturbed instead of bulldozed away. And with it the secrets that lie beneath.

The other side of that coin is of course that the 'finds' uncovered by the Construction employed archaeologists should be recorded for posterity - which is what is happening here before being obliterated - rather than not. However, I cannot bring myself to applaud it.
nigelswift
8001 posts

Re: ‘henge’ discovered in Bucks - but not for long
Sep 16, 2020, 11:29
"I cannot bring myself to applaud it."

Quite. It'll leave an inadequate record of the archaeology and an accurate record of the destruction!
common era
838 posts

Edited Sep 28, 2020, 11:12
Re: Oh! The Irony!
Sep 28, 2020, 11:10
Vybik Jon wrote:
HS2 work in Birmingham has uncovered the remains of the oldest railway roundhouse and turntable base in the world.

Because the remains are not in the path of the new tracks, they will form part of the landscaping of the site.


Have been watching the Big Dig programme on BBC all about it. It's probably been mentioned here already, so apologies for repetition. While it's not the ancient history we talk of here it's still been fascinating. Believe next week it coveres the railway roundhouse dig in Birmingham in more depth.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/m000mmrf/britains-biggest-dig
GLADMAN
898 posts

Re: Oh! The Irony!
Sep 29, 2020, 08:59
common era wrote:
Vybik Jon wrote:
HS2 work in Birmingham has uncovered the remains of the oldest railway roundhouse and turntable base in the world.

Because the remains are not in the path of the new tracks, they will form part of the landscaping of the site.


Have been watching the Big Dig programme on BBC all about it. It's probably been mentioned here already, so apologies for repetition. While it's not the ancient history we talk of here it's still been fascinating. Believe next week it coveres the railway roundhouse dig in Birmingham in more depth.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/m000mmrf/britains-biggest-dig


To be fair, CE, Alice could talk about the paint drying process and it would be absorbing......
The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index