'Appalling damage' to Newport ancient burial mound

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6214 posts

Re: 'Appalling damage' to Newport ancient burial mound
Jan 07, 2020, 17:57
Shit. These are really fine barrows too, in a beautiful setting. Sometimes I really do despair of South Wales.
thelonious
330 posts

Jan 07, 2020, 18:46
What's the answer to things like this. People just don't care. Hard to have any hope nowadays.
GLADMAN
950 posts

Jan 07, 2020, 19:01
thelonious wrote:
What's the answer to things like this. People just don't care. Hard to have any hope nowadays.

Best see as much as you can before it's gone. Without proper powers to truly hammer offenders, there is nothing we can do. Moron's only respect fear.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6214 posts

Jan 07, 2020, 19:26
thelonious wrote:

When the "Leader of the Free World" thinks international diplomacy = threatening to destroy a country's heritage sites, we're fighting an uphill battle really.

In a society where leaders demonstrably don't give a shit about anything but their own self-interest, it's no surprise that no-one else does either.

Like Gladman says, just get out there and see it before it's all destroyed.

Mind you, it's nothing new is it? Monuments were being destroyed/robbed/repurposed in prehistoric times, the Church has cast down pagan stones for fear of the Devil (or more likely threats to their power), farmers have wrecked sites on their land to clear another few feet of ground, motorway builders have destroyed stone circles in the last half century.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jan 07, 2020, 19:37
There are powers to punish damage to monuments, strong ones, but people tend to get away with the "didn't know" excuse. Which is why warning notices are worthwhile. Trouble is, lots of Guardian organisations spend zillions on each notice so can't afford to put them on "secondary" sites. The answer is obviously cheaper notices.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6214 posts

Jan 07, 2020, 19:42
Difficult to catch the perpetrators at out of the way sites though.

Warning signs may deter some but won't deter everyone. Most days on the train I see people sitting with their feet on the seats underneath the sign that says "Keep your feet off the seats".
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jan 07, 2020, 19:53
True, but if there's a notice and they DO get caught, they're prosecutable.

The other option, which I prefer, is a uniformed jobsworth with a machine gun.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6214 posts

Jan 07, 2020, 20:00
If it's scheduled, they'd be prosecutable with or without a notice I would think.

But yes, your second option would work, as well as providing employment, career development and job satisfaction options.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Jan 07, 2020, 20:45
Jan 07, 2020, 20:44
nix wrote:

Bloody, arrogant off-roaders. Again! I had to abandon my first attempt at commenting as my language deteriorated somewhat. I recall the damage these vehicles did to the Ridgeway until they were banned during winter months. Googled "damage done to ancient sites by off roaders vehicles" earlier and there are several incidents of this sort of damage. Not to mention the churning up of local byeways - which technically are open to all traffic only to be abused by 4x4 vehicles.
I'm trying to be a kinder person but these tossers (here I go) do make me angry.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6214 posts

Jan 07, 2020, 21:27
thesweetcheat wrote:
... farmers have wrecked sites on their land to clear another few feet of ground ...

On the subject of which, here's a recent visit from Drew, just to add to the general misery of the way our sites are treated:

https://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/19485/hill_of_cally.html
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index