Register
The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
StandingStones.org archaeoastronomy study UK sites

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
DavidH
3 posts

StandingStones.org archaeoastronomy study UK sites
Oct 03, 2019, 15:51
http://www.standingstones.org is a resource site for people who want to study Archaeoastronomy for Stone Circles, Standing Stones, Stone Rows and Henges in Britain and Ireland.
The site providers a viewer to display the historic rising and setting points of the Sun and Moon for most of these sites in the UK and Ireland. The viewer has data accumulated from around 4000 sites across the UK and Ireland including many Stone Circles, Standing Stones, Stone Rows and Henges.
GLADMAN
950 posts

Re: StandingStones.org archaeoastronomy study UK sites
Oct 05, 2019, 10:54
Interesting.... assuming this is based upon actual fieldwork. The placement of so many sites I've had the pleasure of visiting does suggest they were put 'just so' for a definite reason.
DavidH
3 posts

Oct 17, 2019, 13:28
My feeling is that many of the sites are placed very carefully for viewing rises and settings. Many others however at first sight seem somewhat randomly placed although without closely studying a site it is difficult to tell. For the web site I have generated the views based mainly on the SRTM data but this does not include cairns and other fine details (such as notches) that may have been used.
I suspect some/many sites were placed for reasons other than archaeoastronomy reasons, probably at other areas of interest. The site does provide a really good starting position for studying sites.
At some time I will probably try and run some sort of statistical analysis across the sites to try and classify useful archaeoastronomy sites.
David
nigelswift
8112 posts

Oct 17, 2019, 14:20
Have you seen Sandy Gerrard on the placement of Stone Rows?

https://stonerows.wordpress.com/
DavidH
3 posts

Oct 17, 2019, 21:07
I'd not seen that site before - it looks interesting - I will have a read...
Thanks, David
The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index