Head To Head
Register
The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Orkney by public transport. Att: Swetcheat.

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
harestonesdown
1067 posts

Orkney by public transport. Att: Swetcheat.
May 19, 2019, 01:03
So yeah its doable..generally.
Based at Stromness but same would apply for Kirkwall as the bus I mostly used runs between the two.
Easy to do sites, bearing in mind you can flag a bus down anywhere. You can also get off anywhere you request too. Mostly.

Stennes.
Brodgar.
Unstan.
Mae's Howe.
Barnhouse stone.
Cuween.

Skara Brae can be done on a connecting bus if you plan it. Dont miss the last bus or you're up the creek.
Wideford is a bit of a challenge. The driver I got wouldn't stop anywhere between Finstown and Kirkwall but I'm told that driver was a stand in from the mainland and generally it isn't a problem. They'll let.you out but it's on your own from there. Fields and fences right from off their motorway! I very strongly suggest you do not walk the roads! I tried and almost got killed. :D Seriously dont.
On a positive note I found thumbing a lift pretty easy. Helped me out a lot.

Tomb of the eagles/Otters.
I didnt manage it. Theres a bus to the village but its several miles walk there and back from the last stop. Given my experience of Orkney roads I didnt even try.

I also had a rest day on the Thursday so could have done more but needed it after visiting Wideford. :D In reality I think I did pretty well only being there for a week.

Dwarfie. It's an easy one. Take the early morning ferry from Stromness to Moaness. About £9 return and you get about 8hrs there but check the timetable as it's just changed and does depending on season. Comfy waiting room at the dock and a cafe on the road out of there.

So yeah....do it. You'll be awestruck. :)
harestonesdown
1067 posts

Re: Orkney by public transport. Att: Swetcheat.
May 19, 2019, 01:06
Apologies for the name typo, dont know how to edit.
Ps: Get the weekly bus ticket. £20.55. Saved me double that.
tomatoman
118 posts

May 19, 2019, 14:55
Well done HSD. Hope you had reasonable weather too.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6213 posts

May 19, 2019, 16:59
I've enjoyed your notes so much (well, apart from the almost getting hit by a truck bit), you've done brilliantly and proved it can mostly be done.

When I finally get my shit together enough to organise a trip, I'll be revisiting this advice big time, thank you.

The best bit about your notes is the sense of joy though, just wonderful!
scubi63
463 posts

May 19, 2019, 20:52
I found even driving on the island roads was a challenge at times.
I am not sure why but the locals seem to be in such a rush to get everywhere. Maybe they think that as there is not too much traffic then there is less risk.

I found the ferries to be a bit of a challenge and had to organise my trips to some of the islands but also worth the effort. Eday was the most tranquil place of the whole trip, no traffic just the sounds of nature and a beautiful backdrop.

You got to see some fantastic places on foot and showed it can be done.

I think i need to arrange another trip in the near future if I can.

Chris
harestonesdown
1067 posts

May 19, 2019, 20:53
tomatoman wrote:
Well done HSD. Hope you had reasonable weather too.

Yup the weather was awesome! Constantly sunny and 3 days with zero breeze. Made for tiring walking but i'm not complaining. :)
harestonesdown
1067 posts

May 19, 2019, 20:55
thesweetcheat wrote:
I've enjoyed your notes so much (well, apart from the almost getting hit by a truck bit), you've done brilliantly and proved it can mostly be done.

When I finally get my shit together enough to organise a trip, I'll be revisiting this advice big time, thank you.

The best bit about your notes is the sense of joy though, just wonderful!

haha. Yeah that was a bit hairy! :D
If there's anything specific you'd like to know at any point just give me a shout.
harestonesdown
1067 posts

May 19, 2019, 21:01
There's a few walkabout vids on my youtube from my visit if you want a gander. Badly filmed of course. :D
https://www.youtube.com/user/twighiker/videos?view_as=subscriber
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6213 posts

May 20, 2019, 18:54
I certainly will :)
scubi63
463 posts

May 20, 2019, 19:21
They are really good chap. Well done matey
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index