15 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Monganaut
Monganaut
2375 posts

Re: Mudlark finds Neolithic skull by Thames
Feb 23, 2019, 20:59
Zariadris wrote:
Politics and religion really do go hand in hand.

I believe this is called a theocracy. Alleged by the Romans that 'The Druids' (I do hate that word) hold over the populous was the very same, and I guess ditto to some extent with the influence of the powerful medieval church who had the ear of most rulers of the time. Islam too is very much one, with the Imam's having a similar role to the iron age druid. I'm sure there are other modern examples too...poss shaman in various worldwide communities?

Not read much Bradley, then again, I've not really read many archaeology books in recent years either other than Richard Morris's 'Times Anvil' which started off rather well, and now I'm mired in the middle, and picking off a chapter at a time when I remember/ can be bothered. Kinda worth a read, but maybe my head ain't in the right place currently for it... can be picked up cheap second hand....review here...
https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/reviews/times-anvil-england-archaeology-and-the-imagination-by-richard-morris-8465442.html

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index