Pages: 4 – [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
thelonious
330 posts

Edited Dec 13, 2018, 15:03
Re: Newly identified recumbent stone circle
Dec 13, 2018, 14:51
found it - amazing, it looks complete also small

https://online.aberdeenshire.gov.uk/smrpub/master/detail.aspx?tab=main&refno=NJ50NW0094
ruskus
12 posts

Dec 13, 2018, 15:36
Wow! If I'd known this when I was up there last week I would've tried a visit, and maybe been the first (non-local) to see it. Nice to have another RSC to the list. "Holmhead"? Looks a corker actually.
thelonious
330 posts

Dec 13, 2018, 15:49
It does look a little gem.

You can even see it on Bing. Amazing that stuff like this is still being found! Hard to believe this has gone unrecorded for so long,

https://binged.it/2EtVQ0c
Howburn Digger
Howburn Digger
986 posts

Dec 13, 2018, 17:05
The 1892 - 1914 OS 25 Inch sheet shows it as a patch of unimproved/ boggy land. The parcel is pretty much the same as the area it stands (set aside) in now.

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/spy/index.cfm#zoom=17&lat=57.1648&lon=-2.7967&layers=168&b=1&r=44

It could have been concealed in this scrubby moorland patch with its recumbent boulder, stone ring and stuff hardly poking out of a marshy, reedy patch full of Gorse and Willow. It is simply not seen at all on the regular OS 25 Inch sheets from 1888- 1913. The area a few yards immediately to the North is called Bogfields. It's probable that gradual drainage of the immediate surrounding area over the last 100 years has allowed this beauty to poke its head back out of the accumulation of Moss, Reed and Willow with a very thoughtful and sympathetic family tending to it as it came back.

This is a really beautiful and cool thing to see.

Feels like Christmas... but not in any kind of Christmassy way.
spencer
spencer
3070 posts

Dec 14, 2018, 11:13
I think the words lovely and sweet are in this case totally appropriate.
ironstone
62 posts

Dec 14, 2018, 12:32
It looks smaller than Strichen which is the dinkiest RSC I've so far encountered. What a great discovery!
GLADMAN
950 posts

Dec 15, 2018, 10:41
Are we saying even Drew didn't know about this?

He hasn't been around erecting stone circles by any chance? I expect answers.
Howburn Digger
Howburn Digger
986 posts

Dec 15, 2018, 13:40
Come on! Who's getting the first photos up?
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2555 posts

Dec 15, 2018, 17:39
Pure luck, played a concert in Tarland, 14/12/2018 and was told about the circle in the pub. Hellish weather!
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2555 posts

Dec 15, 2018, 17:46
GLADMAN wrote:
Are we saying even Drew didn't know about this?

He hasn't been around erecting stone circles by any chance? I expect answers.

I'd heard rumours but nothing concrete, when in the pub last night in Tarland they spoke about the circle at Holmhead and nearby Hillside. Prehistory has ran riot in this area and they were speaking some unusual things on a hill near Cushnie. Didn't have my camera, no protective clothing against elements and a borrowed pair of wellies but back down playing another concert next Friday. All the gear will be taken this time.

As for Holmhead it is complete. Only one flanker down everything else standing. I read here that somebody mentioned Strichen decent shout, North Strone near Alford is also a lookalike,
Pages: 4 – [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index