Head To Head
Register
The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
The Stonehenge cremated remains are from Wales....

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
nigelswift
8112 posts

The Stonehenge cremated remains are from Wales....
Aug 03, 2018, 11:33
The cremation dates are "tantalisinglyā€¯ close to the date when the bluestones were brought into the earlier ditch and bank monument to form the first stone circle.
https://www.theguardian.com/science/2018/aug/02/revealed-stonehenge-buried-welsh?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Is this the end of the glaciation theory?
Discuss.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Re: The Stonehenge cremated remains are from Wales....
Aug 03, 2018, 17:38
nigelswift wrote:
The cremation dates are "tantalisinglyā€¯ close to the date when the bluestones were brought into the earlier ditch and bank monument to form the first stone circle.
https://www.theguardian.com/science/2018/aug/02/revealed-stonehenge-buried-welsh?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
Is this the end of the glaciation theory?
Discuss.

A well written piece from the Guardian - which seems to say yes, the end of the glaciation theory. Last night I tried to follow a FB discussion on the Prehistoric Society page but difficult to pull together all the comments when Wales as a separate country didn't exist 5000 years ago (someone helpfully posted a Roman map of Wales).

The article gives a nice little tribute to Geoffrey Wainwright (and Timothy Darvill). I well remember their healing stones theory.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Aug 03, 2018, 19:52
Yes, Geoffrey Wainwright spent his life attributing Stonehenge to Welsh builders so it's sad he's no longer here.

Mike Pitts seems to be casting doubt but hasn't yet said why.

Brian John spent a while here defending his glaciation theory so it'll be interesting to see how he reacts..
Howburn Digger
Howburn Digger
986 posts

Aug 07, 2018, 09:54
tjj wrote:
Last night I tried to follow a FB discussion on the Prehistoric Society page but difficult to pull together all the comments when Wales as a separate country didn't exist 5000 years ago (someone helpfully posted a Roman map of Wales).

Was that a Roman Map of Wales?

Or a map of Roman Wales?

They are very different things... and of course neither...
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Aug 07, 2018, 18:24
Aug 07, 2018, 18:23
Howburn Digger wrote:
tjj wrote:
Last night I tried to follow a FB discussion on the Prehistoric Society page but difficult to pull together all the comments when Wales as a separate country didn't exist 5000 years ago (someone helpfully posted a Roman map of Wales).

Was that a Roman Map of Wales?

Or a map of Roman Wales?

They are very different things... and of course neither...

Ah yes, I see what you're saying - a subtle difference. I can't remember to be honest and the problem with those FB discussions is they usually disappear into cyberspace.
The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index