The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Solar Storms

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
moss
moss
2897 posts

Solar Storms
Mar 14, 2018, 09:09
According to a news article Yorkshire will be able to see those beautiful Northern green lights tomorrow, but what I did not know was that...

"The arrival of the solar storm coincides with the formation of 'equinox cracks' in Earth's magnetic field, which form around the equinoxes on March 20 and September 23 every year."

Now is that true? and what did prehistory make of it?

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/massive-solar-storm-set-to-hit-earth-could-bring-northern-lights-to-yorkshire-1-9061835
moss
moss
2897 posts

Re:Equinox Cracks
Mar 14, 2018, 09:15
https://spaceweatherarchive.com/2018/03/12/equinox-cracks-forming-in-earths-magnetic-field/
spencer
spencer
3070 posts

Re: Solar Storms
Mar 14, 2018, 09:42
What prehistory made of the lights is a subject that fascinates me greatly...and I think it is a reason for the construction of some sites that is overlooked.
CR
29 posts

Mar 15, 2018, 09:29
Yes its true :) - allowing for clouds...

spectacular 'universal' phenomena were undoubtedly remarked on and wondered at.

Some 'alternative-archaeologists' suggest direct symbolic links to such things - but this not really provable as such. However, given the attention shown to other Solar/Stellar patterns, we can assume they did not simply ignore things like this.

Their world was likely rich with 'magic'...I write this looking at a rainbow; what did our ancestors understand these unique-in-nature things to be ... ?

Again this raise the issue of generalized down-playing archaeoastronomy in modern interpretations of Stonehenge and other monuments...
moss
moss
2897 posts

Mar 15, 2018, 10:56
CR wrote:

Again this raise the issue of generalized down-playing archaeoastronomy in modern interpretations of Stonehenge and other monuments...

I suspect because it is not 'factual' in the true sense of the word. It is a whole side issue that I have never studied but as you say, how did they see that rainbow or indeed green lights in the sky.
spencer
spencer
3070 posts

Mar 15, 2018, 20:42
A nice pic of Ring of Brodgar framed by the Lights on the Orkney Aurora Group's Facebook page...
The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index