Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Re: 'Sight Unseen'
Jun 27, 2017, 14:31
Wild Wooder wrote:
When all's said and done it's a bloody good page turner, as are all of his IMHO.

Yes it is. I found the Martian map of Avebury theory he manages to weave into the story rather entertaining.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Jul 12, 2017, 09:32
Jul 12, 2017, 09:17
tjj wrote:
I'm in a reading group which often challenges me to read something I wouldn't otherwise pick up. The current book is anything by Robert Goddard - I chose 'Sight Unseen' which starts "It begins at Avebury ..." How could I resist.

https://www.publishersweekly.com/978-0-440-24280-2

What bothers me though, is that while the author gets all the other details about Avebury correct (the Red Lion, Green Street, Silbury House) he refers to the Cove stones as the Adam and Eve stones. What takes place by these stones is integral to the plot. How can I let this little mistake undermine the rest of the novel - but somehow it does. Does this make me an anorak?

I've just seen two very old photos of Avebury on FB courtesy of someone who knows. The description does in fact say: Druid Altar Stones (2) "These are two upright stones of the north inner circle (commonly known as Adam and Eve)." The description goes on to give the dimensions of the stones.

So, Robert Goddard, I owe you an apology, have learnt something old but new to me about Avebury and really enjoyed the book.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6216 posts

Jul 12, 2017, 20:10
Be interesting to know if the "other" Adam and Eve weren't called that at the time then. Seems improbable that two pairs within a short distance would be called the same names. Mind you, in Carmarthenshire every standing stone is Maen Llwyd and every pair is Maeni Llwydion :)
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Jul 13, 2017, 20:37
Re: 'Adam and Eve'
Jul 13, 2017, 17:08
thesweetcheat wrote:
Be interesting to know if the "other" Adam and Eve weren't called that at the time then. Seems improbable that two pairs within a short distance would be called the same names. Mind you, in Carmarthenshire every standing stone is Maen Llwyd and every pair is Maeni Llwydion :)

Intrigued, I went out there today to visit the 'other' Adam and Eve. I go past on the bus weekly but its a while since I'd actually walked over there. It's a lovely walk up through Avebury Trusloe and along the quiet road with only the swooping swallows (house martins) for company. As you are aware I'm sure, there is an excellent interpretation board by the stile over into the field where Adam and Eve stand. The information board says they are the only visible remains of the Longstones Cove and Beckhampton Avenue. From the diagram it seems that Adam was one of four cove stones and Eve the last of the paired stones which made up the Avenue. So they are not even a 'pair'.
Its easy to see where many of the stones ended up when you see the sarsen stone garden walls on Bray Street leading out of Avebury Village.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6216 posts

Re: 'Adam and Eve'
Jul 14, 2017, 06:44
tjj wrote:
thesweetcheat wrote:

Intrigued, I went out there today to visit the 'other' Adam and Eve. I go past on the bus weekly but its a while since I'd actually walked over there. It's a lovely walk up through Avebury Trusloe and along the quiet road with only the swooping swallows (house martins) for company. As you are aware I'm sure, there is an excellent interpretation board by the stile over into the field where Adam and Eve stand. The information board says they are the only visible remains of the Longstones Cove and Beckhampton Avenue. From the diagram it seems that Adam was one of four cove stones and Eve the last of the paired stones which made up the Avenue. So they are not even a 'pair'.
Its easy to see where many of the stones ended up when you see the sarsen stone garden walls on Bray Street leading out of Avebury Village.

Sounds like a nice walk. You're right of course that they're not a pair as such. I really ought to go back there, new board and everything since my last visit.
neighbourofthedrude
neighbourofthedrude
1555 posts

Edited Jul 17, 2017, 17:27
Jul 17, 2017, 17:26
Love that book

:o)

love most of his books
neighbourofthedrude
neighbourofthedrude
1555 posts

Jul 17, 2017, 17:28
thesweetcheat wrote:
Perhaps they'd have to lean it over at 45 degrees.

;o)
Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index