Cornish Collection

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
moss
moss
2897 posts

Cornish Collection
Apr 27, 2016, 14:39
An update on the work that was carried out last summer. It does make you realise all the formalities that have to be done before even a megalithic site can be highlighted and restored to some degree - all to the good, and I hope the next undertaking will go just as well Roy.

https://theheritagetrust.wordpress.com/2016/04/27/the-cornish-collection-the-stripple-stones/
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: Cornish Collection
Apr 27, 2016, 16:25
moss wrote:
An update on the work that was carried out last summer. It does make you realise all the formalities that have to be done before even a megalithic site can be highlighted and restored to some degree - all to the good, and I hope the next undertaking will go just as well Roy.

https://theheritagetrust.wordpress.com/2016/04/27/the-cornish-collection-the-stripple-stones/

Thank you moss, I hope to have some news shortly.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Apr 27, 2016, 20:37
That all seems exciting. Are there plans to raise the re-exposed stone mentioned the below passage from your article?

"There is something very special about re-exposing a buried stone that you know was once part of what we possibly perceive as being a ‘ritualistic or ceremonial’ monument and once likely to have been last handled by our great ancestors some 4,500-5,000 years ago! We often refer to these stones as being ‘sacred’ and I have to admit to feeling a tingle when they first see the light of day again and always hope that they are not too deep to leave exposed once recorded. They were meant to be seen and although no longer all standing are nevertheless there for our wonderment and why we as a group find great pleasure and privilege in re-exposing them at any given opportunity."
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Edited Apr 27, 2016, 23:15
Apr 27, 2016, 21:03
tjj wrote:
That all seems exciting. Are there plans to raise the re-exposed stone mentioned the below passage from your article?

"There is something very special about re-exposing a buried stone that you know was once part of what we possibly perceive as being a ‘ritualistic or ceremonial’ monument and once likely to have been last handled by our great ancestors some 4,500-5,000 years ago! We often refer to these stones as being ‘sacred’ and I have to admit to feeling a tingle when they first see the light of day again and always hope that they are not too deep to leave exposed once recorded. They were meant to be seen and although no longer all standing are nevertheless there for our wonderment and why we as a group find great pleasure and privilege in re-exposing them at any given opportunity."

At the moment, no June. When an application is submitted you have to detail all you are proposing to do and that's all you do unless it's something thought in keeping so can make small additions. Three 'known' and observed recumbent stones were selected for re-erection and only they were lifted. The stone we re-exposed was probably only recorded as 'likely to be there' so not included. The two others we detected were also left alone and not even exposed. There is so much to do elsewhere and time is tight.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6214 posts

Jun 20, 2019, 19:34
There are now 11 stones standing (two are oddly shaped in a way that suggests they were broken either when or after they fell) and the wall through the site has gone. I'd forgotten that work had been done, so was a bit shocked to find the stones back up, in a good way. The stones are *big*!

Made an unexpected highlight of a great day - King Arthur's Hall>Emblance Downs circles>Leaze circle (no access trouble at all)>Hawk's Tor>Stripple Stones>Trippet Stones, some round houses on the way.
moss
moss
2897 posts

Jun 22, 2019, 08:49
thesweetcheat wrote:
There are now 11 stones standing (two are oddly shaped in a way that suggests they were broken either when or after they fell) and the wall through the site has gone. I'd forgotten that work had been done, so was a bit shocked to find the stones back up, in a good way. The stones are *big*!

Made an unexpected highlight of a great day - King Arthur's Hall>Emblance Downs circles>Leaze circle (no access trouble at all)>Hawk's Tor>Stripple Stones>Trippet Stones, some round houses on the way.

Hi Sweetcheat, think there is a lot happening on the moors, but quietly. King Arthur's Hall was my favourite just for its air of mystery.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6214 posts

Jun 22, 2019, 20:32
Quietly but hopefully officially. I know that three stones were reerected a couple of years back, but now another four are up.

I was particularly surprised because Burl comments that the post-holes of the fallen stones were very shallow, so to put these back up must have involved new holes and not necessarily replicating the original construction. Still, the previous restoration was overseen by the County archaeologist so I assume the new four were too. It's an odd site, the stones are very mismatched in size, with no grading. It lacks the elegance of Trippet Stones or Leaze.

It's a lovely setting though. I agree with you about King Arthur's Hall, it's very special.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Jun 23, 2019, 09:41
thesweetcheat wrote:
Quietly but hopefully officially. I know that three stones were reerected a couple of years back, but now another four are up.

I was particularly surprised because Burl comments that the post-holes of the fallen stones were very shallow, so to put these back up must have involved new holes and not necessarily replicating the original construction. Still, the previous restoration was overseen by the County archaeologist so I assume the new four were too. It's an odd site, the stones are very mismatched in size, with no grading. It lacks the elegance of Trippet Stones or Leaze.

It's a lovely setting though. I agree with you about King Arthur's Hall, it's very special.

Hi Alken
There is always something happening on the moor and to the best of my knowledge - officially. Mine is for sure.
James Gossip (CAU) was the senior archaeologist on site at the Stripples and does everything correctly which includes the re-erection of the fallen ring stones. Although out on loan at the moment, if you would like to see my copy of the official completed report on the work carried out on the Stripples and surrounding area, just ask. Just a warning though, it's rather more than bedtime reading as it is hugely comprehensive :-).

Regarding the mismatched stones, don't forget that the Stripples are Late Neolithic, not BA like the Trippets and Leaze. They are only a step up from the three Mid-Neolithic circles up the north-west - Stannon/Fernacre/Louden which, in comparison, seem to have been built with whatever stones they could get their hands on (mainly small) and possibly by the same builders.

I hope to have some important news re King Arthur's Hall in the very near future - and more!

Regards
Roy
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6214 posts

Jun 23, 2019, 12:32
Hi Roy

I hoped you'd stop by on this one. That's excellent news, thanks for confirming. Does the report mention the shallow post holes issue? If I remember rightly this was identified again when the first three stones were put back up as a reason not to do more, so presumably someone has re-interpreted?

Re the size, it's not so much the size as the order that feels unsatisfying somehow, but it's a purely personal response to visiting the site. I've been to plenty of sites with varying sized stones (including my favourite of all at Boskednan) and there's usually some sense that the stones are graded - just about every RSC has graded stones - or at least that putting the big stones at particular points is deliberate (for example at Avebury). Here it seemed more random, although I haven't got any knowledge of celestial alignments etc that might provide an explanation. Mind you, the simplest explanation might just be sloppiness! After all, the plan is not very circular (the NW arc is almost straight) and they didn't dig proper holes, so maybe they just didn't know what they were doing :)

tsc
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Jun 23, 2019, 22:20
thesweetcheat wrote:
Hi Roy

I hoped you'd stop by on this one. That's excellent news, thanks for confirming. Does the report mention the shallow post holes issue? If I remember rightly this was identified again when the first three stones were put back up as a reason not to do more, so presumably someone has re-interpreted?

Re the size, it's not so much the size as the order that feels unsatisfying somehow, but it's a purely personal response to visiting the site. I've been to plenty of sites with varying sized stones (including my favourite of all at Boskednan) and there's usually some sense that the stones are graded - just about every RSC has graded stones - or at least that putting the big stones at particular points is deliberate (for example at Avebury). Here it seemed more random, although I haven't got any knowledge of celestial alignments etc that might provide an explanation. Mind you, the simplest explanation might just be sloppiness! After all, the plan is not very circular (the NW arc is almost straight) and they didn't dig proper holes, so maybe they just didn't know what they were doing :)

tsc

Yes, although I don't have the field report at the moment (I will retrieve it this coming week) I do recall the shallow sockets being mentioned. It is worth remembering that the peat depth wasn't so great back in the day so maybe it wasn't seen as such a big deal at the time. George St Gray didn't do himself any favours by poorly backfilling a few stones in 1905, unlike what James and David Attwell the contractor carried out. I may be wrong but I believe the original depth was retained so that that the height of the ring stones were as they were meant to be, but the big difference was the quality of the backfill. Granite packing was used to trig each stone at its base and then layers of compounded rab (growen) together with more granite blocks. The growen when compounded is like concrete and a great filler between the granite blocks. A slight mounding was formed at ground level to enable water to run away from the stones.

The added plus of course is that the Highland cattle that used to roam freely and play havoc with the stones along with other stock are now denied access.

It's purely my own thoughts, but I sometimes wonder if the stones in the Neolithic meant anything to them at all, other that just marking out an area to carry out whatever it was they did in them or used them for! It seems to be completely different in the BA, especially when you see dressed stones at regular heights and more 'stubby'. The 'purpose' seems to be completely different then.

The positioning of the Stripples is interesting as it is just enough to one side of Hawks Tor to observe Rough Tor. Of course it also observes Brown Willy and Garrow Tor, but 'most' of the circles favour being in site of Rough Tor and have an iconic tri-stone in their setting.
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index