Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Re: Fresher wheat .
Nov 16, 2015, 14:26
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
nigelswift wrote:
Ah yes, here it is being said more recently about Durrington's "buried stones" .....

"He said that a decade ago, he excavated some of those locations and found post holes that had been capped with cemented chalk. The radar reflections had bounced off the chalk blocks, he said.

“The smart money is that the stones are not actually stones,” Dr. Parker Pearson said. He said he and Dr. Gaffney had discussed their differing interpretations. “We’ll dig a hole next year to resolve the issue once and for all,” he said."

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/10/science/stonehenge-begins-to-yield-its-secrets.html?action=click&contentCollection=N.Y.%20%2F%20Region&module=MostPopularFB&version=Full&_r=0

Perhaps I'm over simplifying, but I remember reading that they had dimensions for these potentially buried stones, and that those dimensions had ruled out the possibility of them being Bluestones, and they were likely to be sarsen. In terms of differing interpretations, MPP must know whether the size of the chalk blocks/cemented chalk caps he found are comparable to these findings?

I would imagine there is quite a difference between postholes capped with chalk and blocks 'too big' to be bluestones. The 'stones' were thought to be toppled, which suggests they are laying horizontally. The difference must be obvious?

Yep , the Gaff(ney) team certainly describe them as being recumbent and quite big in some cases , dunno how they got "toppled" from a GPR/Lidar though . Maybe they have a RID (ritual iconoclasm detector) .
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index