The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Stubob

Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
A R Cane
30 posts

Re: Stubob
Jul 15, 2015, 16:06
That's really very sad. Sounds like he was a lovely fella.
harestonesdown
1067 posts

Jul 15, 2015, 19:18
Where do you start?

I remember my first meeting with Stu, i wanted to find the elusive Bunkers Hill rock shelter, he wanted to come along to be sure i did, and as he did he showed me numerous other sites along the way that i hadnt visited before. In those days we'd both receive many enquiries each week regarding sites and that's how the Pecsaetan site was born. I began adding sites myself, but where i lacked in info you could rely on Stu to know all there is to know, so after a year or so he joined me at my request. He'd probably laugh reading this, but he'd often pm or email me in the early hours thinking he'd fucked up the website trying to add something, and he often did! A far better pre-historian than computer user, but we always got there in the end.
The site was supposed to cover South Yorkshire and Derbyshire, but in his never ending enthusiasm he wanted to cover Staffordshire too, and so we began.

Humble selfless and quiet, you'd never know at a glance one man could carry so much site info in his head, often reeling off fact after fact in relation to some unassuming cairn or other and the finds found there, that was him all over.

The world hasn't only lost a superb pre-historian, but one of the jolliest most genuinely friendly people you could ever meet, he'll be missed deeply by those who knew him and those who didn't but took advantage of his great knowledge of the Peak and surrounding areas, which he was all too willing to share with anyone having even a fleeting interest.

Sleep soundly my friend, till i can walk with you again some day.

Geoff. (Megadread/Harestonesdown)
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6219 posts

Jul 15, 2015, 19:30
Lovely tribute.

I looked at his recent Lake District pictures again last night, we've lost a stellar contributor with his passing - but nothing to compare to your loss of a friend.

"My heart has joined the thousand, for my friend stopped running today"
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Jul 15, 2015, 22:32
Jul 15, 2015, 19:47
Ah Geoff, I'm so sorry you've lost your exceptional and dear friend. I didn't have the privilege of knowing Stu but I know you. Thinking of you.
June
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2559 posts

Jul 15, 2015, 19:49
That is sad news. He was always friendly to me on here. Funnily enough I was at Memsie and the White Cow Wood Cairns today so I hope he was looking down from wherever keeping me right.

Safe journey to him and all the very best to his family.
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2559 posts

Jul 15, 2015, 19:51
Nice tribute m8. All the best to you as well.
GLADMAN
950 posts

Jul 15, 2015, 21:09
Nice one Geoff.

There's a saying that to have any conception of where we're going we need to understand the past. No shit, Sherlock.

On that basis I reckon Stubob's contribution to humanity was equivalent to at least a thousand investment bankers.
harestonesdown
1067 posts

Jul 15, 2015, 21:16
I've wrote a few words on the news section of our website news page -http://pecsaetan.weebly.com/news.html

And for anyone that would care to add something themselves there's the facility on our guest book -http://pecsaetan.weebly.com/guest-book
KeithH
1 posts

Jul 16, 2015, 12:27
Many Thanks to all of you.

I'm Stu's eldest brother and seeing these words left in the forum have certainly been heartwarming and I know they will be welcomed by his Mum and Dad.

He was certainly amongst friends who shared the same passion as him and I know, that one of his greatest enjoyments in life was meeting up with people from this website and others, so that he could could share and swap knowledge about these pre-historical sites.

Once again, many thanks for thinking of Stu at this time.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6219 posts

Jul 16, 2015, 18:32
Thanks very much Keith, our thoughts are with you and Stu's family.

There's a terrific legacy of his enormous contribution here, and anyone browsing the Midlands sites here is inevitably benefiting from his efforts.

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/user/2091
Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index