Topic View: Flat | Threaded
moss
moss
2897 posts

Edited Aug 14, 2013, 08:41
Re: Old Oswestry online petition
Aug 14, 2013, 08:34
harestonesdown wrote:
I'd love to, but giving them my e-mail address ?
I'll have to pass. Sorry.

You don't have to give a real one, I always do but when it comes to my postal address, it is always false..... I sign lots of stuff, it is the only way you can get a say in this world and this relaxation of planning laws needs people to speak out if they find that ancient sites are in danger ;)and of course the precious green countryside that also comes under pressure....
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Aug 16, 2013, 13:14
Aug 14, 2013, 09:02
moss wrote:
harestonesdown wrote:
I'd love to, but giving them my e-mail address ?
I'll have to pass. Sorry.

You don't have to give a real one, I always do but when it comes to my postal address, it is always false..... I sign lots of stuff, it is the only way you can get a say in this world and this relaxation of planning laws needs people to speak out if they find that ancient sites are in danger ;)and of course the precious green countryside that also comes under pressure....

I always give my correct email address and my correct address - only Govt petitions ask for a full address.
Old Oswestry hill fort is due for a visit from me as soon as it can be arranged. Looks like a wonderful place.
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2559 posts

Aug 15, 2013, 01:32
Yup
dissolving
67 posts

Aug 16, 2013, 11:26
Signed.
Have been meaning to get back to Old Oswestry soon as well, it's been quite a few years! Hopefully this housing development proposal will get thrown out as it deserves to be...
moss
moss
2897 posts

Sep 03, 2013, 10:54
A rather poignant letter from an Oswestry resident.....

English Heritage appears to be about to roll over and Shropshire and Oswestry councils are prepared to despoil the beautiful jewel green setting of Old Oswestry Hill fort for housing and a car park.

The land owner will profit from the development, and so will English Heritage and the councils when they build their car park and charge us all admission.

The losers are the Hill fort itself – which will lose not only its archaeology, but some of its mystery and magic when it is twinned in plain sight with a modern car park – and once again the public, whose heritage is spoilt and marred.
They will see a Hill fort in a degraded less magical setting.

To add insult to injury, they will, no doubt in future, be charged for access
to the fort, when access is at present free.

It is so wonderful to have free access to heritage and to have such a feeling of liberty to visit it at any time.

Charging for access to heritage penalises all of us and especially inhibits those who are less well off.

The housing and car park development proposals are obscene money-making ideas at the expense of our heritage. If the councils want a car park for the Hill fort, and to charge for parking, why don’t they look to develop the present Morrisons site when Morrisons moves to the new Smithfield development? For those visitors unable or not wishing to walk the distance, a shuttle bus could take people.
Why are the councils and planners so short sighted, motivated by short-term gain for long-term inestimable losses? The planners seem blind to the very thing that makes the Hill fort so special.

Looking down from the Hill fort onto a car park and modern housing will keep us all very rooted in the present, and the magic of Guinevere’s fort will be lost.

http://www.shropshirestar.com/news/2013/09/03/letter-magic-of-old-oswestry-hill-fort-will-be-lost-if-plans-go-ahead/
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6218 posts

Sep 03, 2013, 18:33
I agree with almost all of that, but I'm not sure about the "charging for access" bit - Maiden Castle, for example, is free to visit and is in EH care.

Completely agree about the loss of the wider landscape integrity of the site though.
moss
moss
2897 posts

Edited Sep 03, 2013, 21:13
Sep 03, 2013, 21:11
thesweetcheat wrote:
I agree with almost all of that, but I'm not sure about the "charging for access" bit - Maiden Castle, for example, is free to visit and is in EH care.

Completely agree about the loss of the wider landscape integrity of the site though.

I would have thought it was rather expensive to control a paid car park anyway. But the Guinevere bit intrigued me, notice Rhiannon has put something up about it... Story has it Guinevere was born here.

"Old Oswestry Hill Fort, known as Caer Ogyrfan after King Arthur’s father in law, is said to be the birthplace of Queen Ganhumara, or Guinevere. It is also believed to have been the site for the final battle of the Powys king Cynddylan, the last descendant of King Arthur to rule in Shropshire."
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6218 posts

Sep 03, 2013, 21:20
Perhaps they'll find her buried in the carpark :)
moss
moss
2897 posts

Sep 05, 2013, 08:35
thesweetcheat wrote:
Perhaps they'll find her buried in the carpark :)

I 'believe' she is buried at Glastonbury Abbey or so it is said, though being married to Arthur her bones could either be down in Tintagel or up in Wales...

Update;

But anyway, the Oswestry town council has put its foot down in opposition to Shropshire County Council, what that means is anyone's guess......

"Oswestry Town Council says it is adamant it will not back any plans that would damage the archaeological or historical impact of the town’s hillfort."

http://www.shropshirestar.com/news/2013/09/04/council-adamant-over-protection-for-oswestry-hillfort/
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6218 posts

Sep 05, 2013, 17:16
Interesting, thanks Moss. Obviously Oswestry TC may have a different view about what that actually means than others might!
Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index