Dec 17, 2012, 22:02
I love you Rhiannon.
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Re: How is Rock Art aged?
Dec 17, 2012, 22:05
Rhiannon wrote:
Maybe you're reading the wrong books. Or maybe you don't know what books exist. The written word enables human beings to communicate ideas across time and space. It's totally democratic, there's no entry requirements on a book, the information's all there for you and you can fit it into your own ideas and expand your horizons and understanding about things you'll never be able to experience otherwise, or maybe learn about things you didn't know existed. The information can help you develop your own ideas, refine them, expand them. What's the alternative, believing that everything important is contained inside your own head, needing no input or collaboration with the outside world, that you can't learn anything from anything except your own direct experience? I don't think civilisation would have quite got as far as it has without sharing ideas.

The alternative is what our country was built on, the thing that ended with the Druids and their rightous distrust of books, they were right as well, just look at all the death and wars over just 2 books -the bible and the koran, nuff said...
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Edited Dec 17, 2012, 22:07
Dec 17, 2012, 22:07
Harryshill wrote:
bladup wrote:
Harryshill wrote:
bladup wrote:
Harryshill wrote:
Trip and you get a trip.

Why don't you understand that?

Tripping is nothing but tripping

your not making any sense, are you drunk?[a real harmful "drug"]

Again you lack understanding.

I don't drink.

Sorry trolljuice.
And thewr you have it..

I have done the lot. And the fact tha yu can't seem to understand that, makes me realiuse how linitd your unbderstanding is.

You're clearly very drunk as your spellings gone to pot.
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Dec 17, 2012, 22:08
Ah thank you :)
But really, it's like this morning on the radio, they were talking to some republican in america about gun control. Heads and brick walls. But apparently I can't read someone dissing the written word without putting my oar in can I.
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Dec 17, 2012, 22:10
Rhiannon wrote:
Ah thank you :)
But really, it's like this morning on the radio, they were talking to some republican in america about gun control. Heads and brick walls. But apparently I can't read someone dissing the written word without putting my oar in can I.

Not if you don't like massive religious wars over who's mans the best.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6216 posts

Dec 17, 2012, 22:10
Quite right too.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Dec 17, 2012, 22:12
Oh for goodness sake you're using the written word to condemn the written word! How can you possibly claim what goes on between your ears outranks the collective learning of Mankind?
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Dec 17, 2012, 22:15
"the Druids and their rightous distrust of books"

I don't even know where to begin with that. But since you've said it it's probably true so I won't argue.

But, it's not just about written words - it's about sharing information and printing is only the medium. - telling people about things they don't know about, places they've never been, ideas they'd never considered, listening to people and working those ideas into your own. In the 21st century not only do we have all the ideas of people we know and meet (like the 'Druids' had) but we have at our fingertips literally millions of books and papers and discussions, not just physically in libraries but on the internet. There's got to be stuff to enrich your own ideas out there. But you sound like you're discounting that, like all that you need is what's inside your head, your own experiences. ?
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Dec 17, 2012, 22:16
I think that's what he is saying. He can't be. Are you? Surely you can't be.
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Dec 17, 2012, 22:19
nigelswift wrote:
Oh for goodness sake you're using the written word to condemn the written word! How can you possibly claim what goes on between your ears outranks the collective learning of Mankind?

Well that's a great example [i've been waiting for you to say this] because you lot [tiompan, harryshill and you] do reckon you've nothing to learn from me [and my writing] and certainly nothing from each other, so this proves my point very well, thank you and goodnight, have you been talking to yourself on the jounal all night? and then realised no ones there and thought you'd better get over here and cause some trouble, i still can't believe you called yourself "troublemaker", it's honest i suppose.
Pages: 42 – [ Previous | 116 17 18 19 20 21 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index