12 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Re: Traditional African shield resembles a Bell Barrow
Dec 05, 2012, 08:21
juamei wrote:
Unless you can find an existing bronze age European shield in the shape of a bell barrow, its a non theory in my opinion. They are the same shape ish, but that is as far as it goes. They are also the same shape as the splash of a stone in water, some sombreros and the shape produced by digging a circular ditch throwing earth into a central mound and a surrounding bank...

Have been reading Anew's theory with some interest - had me studying photos and descriptions of bell barrows last night. I agree with your post Juamei - as far as I'm aware no bronze age shields of this design have been found in or near any barrows, not just bell barrows. The tenuous link to a traditional African shield takes a massive leap of imagination.

PS: Linking this with the post on aerial archaeology, it seems to come into its own with regard to photographing barrows, especially around Stonehenge. Discussion is good, one train of thought leads to another.
http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/publications/iha-prehistoric-barrows-burial-mounds/prehistoricbarrowsandburialmounds.pdf

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index