The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Traditional African shield resembles a Bell Barrow

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Anew
36 posts

Traditional African shield resembles a Bell Barrow
Dec 03, 2012, 19:02
There is a photo taken by flickr member Eric Lafforgue which shows an African man of the Bodi tribe, (Ethiopia), preparing to defend his ancestral land with traditional weapons, (a stick and a shield), against modern incursion backed by his government, (which is supported by mine as part of the "War on Terror") . The Ethiopian government means to take those lands and lease them to a foreign company for 1 euro per hectare per year to grow (i believe) sugar cane . As troops have already fired upon, (and killed), natives in the area, what we may be looking at is a photo of a doomed man.

Here is a link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mytripsmypics/7821617902

What is of interest to me, beyond the drama, is the design of his shield. It very closely resembles the plan of a Bell Barrow, (familiar in the British landscape). Wikipedia has a page on these saying that daggers are a common find within, possibly indicating that this was a traditional burial form for a brave Bronze-Age warrior. I note in particular the roundish exposed spot of the lashing holding the shield to its handle, (facing the viewer), for its similarity to an entrance.

My belief is that there is a good chance European Stone Age traditions had (recognizable) roots in an African Urkultur, thus the study of traditional African practices may shed light upon this milieu. I have not heard of Bell Barrows in Africa, so i accept their practices were likely to have been different in this respect ... however, this shield may be of a classic and well traveled Stone Age design, in use in both places into the Bronze Age, (and it would seem beyond), which the culture as it evolved in the Isles decided to apply to burial practices for its symbolism and what magic may have been believed associated with it.

This post is based upon one i made as 'Anew' to the 'Alternative Theories' forum of the site stonepages.com.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: Traditional African shield resembles a Bell Barrow
Dec 03, 2012, 19:55
[quote="Anew"]
What is of interest to me, beyond the drama, is the design of his shield. It very closely resembles the plan of a Bell Barrow, (familiar in the British landscape). Wikipedia has a page on these saying that daggers are a common find within, possibly indicating that this was a traditional burial form for a brave Bronze-Age warrior. I note in particular the roundish exposed spot of the lashing holding the shield to its handle, (facing the viewer), for its similarity to an entrance.
quote]

You may well be right Anew but I thought the shield was of a more practical design and purpose. The 'mound' to the centre was surely to allow the fist to grip the handle without rapping the knuckles and the raised outer edge to stop a spear point from glancing off the shield and striking the opponent. Just my thoughts.
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Edited Dec 03, 2012, 20:14
Dec 03, 2012, 20:04
Where's that frog bucket.
Anew
36 posts

Dec 03, 2012, 20:23
I agree that the shield was designed for practical considerations and that the dome is as you say, and the lip is to catch a blow ~ and though i think a spear would go through it, a blow from a club might not.

In my mind the shield preceded the barrow . I believe that this type of barrow is patterned after this type of shield.
Anew
36 posts

Dec 03, 2012, 20:29
Finding buckets is someone else's friendly challenge, i believe . But thank you.

It is near your property line on the southern side, about 40 feet from the back porch.
juamei
juamei
2013 posts

Dec 03, 2012, 21:36
Unless you can find an existing bronze age European shield in the shape of a bell barrow, its a non theory in my opinion. They are the same shape ish, but that is as far as it goes. They are also the same shape as the splash of a stone in water, some sombreros and the shape produced by digging a circular ditch throwing earth into a central mound and a surrounding bank...
harestonesdown
1067 posts

Dec 04, 2012, 06:18
That shield is designed to fend off blunt weapons at close quarters, the built up edge is nothing more than reinforcing for the shields integrity. Defending against a sharp weapon at short range you would furnish yourself with a shield that has a "slick" edge so you could "slip" your opponents weapon and have his momentum work against him.

Fuck knows what this has to do with British pre-history though.
Anew
36 posts

Dec 04, 2012, 23:27
I think it helps to look for symbolism in these things ; and this symbolism, (burying a warrior within a shield-shaped barrow), seems rational to me .

Your first suggestion, (the splash of a stone), might carry some meaning . I invite you to develop it further if you wish.

Your third, in essence that it was the most practical, does not disqualify my theory, in my opinion ~ the practical and the symbolic can go together.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Dec 05, 2012, 08:21
juamei wrote:
Unless you can find an existing bronze age European shield in the shape of a bell barrow, its a non theory in my opinion. They are the same shape ish, but that is as far as it goes. They are also the same shape as the splash of a stone in water, some sombreros and the shape produced by digging a circular ditch throwing earth into a central mound and a surrounding bank...

Have been reading Anew's theory with some interest - had me studying photos and descriptions of bell barrows last night. I agree with your post Juamei - as far as I'm aware no bronze age shields of this design have been found in or near any barrows, not just bell barrows. The tenuous link to a traditional African shield takes a massive leap of imagination.

PS: Linking this with the post on aerial archaeology, it seems to come into its own with regard to photographing barrows, especially around Stonehenge. Discussion is good, one train of thought leads to another.
http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/publications/iha-prehistoric-barrows-burial-mounds/prehistoricbarrowsandburialmounds.pdf
Anew
36 posts

Dec 07, 2012, 00:04
Roger "massive leap of imagination" . Thank you .

I think it possible that this was not simply an African shield, though the design may have arisen there, and is preserved there to the present . Rather i imagine that the design traveled with our human diaspora ; but that in most places was forgotten at some point during the Iron Age as it seems to have been best suited to defense against fighting sticks and clubs, and these were being replaced by axes and daggers as the Bronze Age progressed.

It's going to be essentially impossible to find a shield of this design in the archaeological record if by the time Bronze was plentiful enough to make a shield, the style had changed to something more along the lines of the Battersea, Wandsworth or Witham pieces, (each from the Iron Age) . However, one of the things i consider here is the tendency to go traditional in funeral custom . The design may not have been selected for being the most current shield, but for being one which called up ancestral images of honor and valor.
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index