Trespass on SSSI sites

Pages: 38 – [ Previous | 121 22 23 24 25 26 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Re: surprise
Sep 06, 2012, 11:55
Mustard wrote:

How do you feel about people who've walked around the edge of the corn to get closer to the Devil's Arrows?

Or, indeed, people trespassing in order to take photos of the recent damage at Priddy?

Thats a particularly interesting one.
Mustard
1043 posts

Sep 06, 2012, 12:02
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
Mustard wrote:

How do you feel about people who've walked around the edge of the corn to get closer to the Devil's Arrows?

Or, indeed, people trespassing in order to take photos of the recent damage at Priddy?

It seems to me that Nigel and Rhiannon are effectively saying that it's only OK to break rules that they approve of breaking. I don't mean to be contentious with that comment, but that's honestly what it seems to come down to. Please correct me if I'm wrong, because I'm struggling to understand the logic of your position, N&R.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Sep 06, 2012, 12:06
i am not being unreasonable. Nor unrealistic, I know people step off pathways etc but if the guardians of a place, in their wisdom, make a specific rule and 99.999% of people carefully keep to it and half a dozen people flout it and sneak in somewhere at night and publicly proclaim it is one of the rules they feel doesnt need to apply to THEM or to anyone else that feels the same way that's pretty unfortunate, to say the least. Its not going to get democracy in China or votes for women its just going to make them look like self-seekers and sends out a truly lousy message.

As for being grateful for such individual thinkers, I think not. Chinese students and women's campaigners yes, breakers of rules that they themselves support as well-founded - no.
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Edited Sep 06, 2012, 21:18
Re: Trespass on SSSI sites
Sep 06, 2012, 12:13
tomwatts wrote:
...If you really, really feel an uncontrollable urge to walk where you shouldn't then why not take a tip from the Irish who process up Mount Brandon barefoot every year?...

http://www.unshod.org/ebbfhike/bfhik101.htm

Nutters!!!!!
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Sep 06, 2012, 12:14
Nigel,

I would appreciate, as i'm sure we all would at this point, some fairly straight talk.

Bringing this discussion crash landing back into reality..

Have you ever trespassed onto an ancient site?
nigelswift
8112 posts

Sep 06, 2012, 12:16
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
Mustard wrote:

Exactly, which is why I said of course I have broken rules.

Of course, not asking the man who had wrecked the place if I could take photos of the wreckage isn't exactly like breaking rules set up by Guardians is it?

Incidentally, I got called a "Heritage Arse" on the Portal by a certain ex-photographer of this parish utterly beside himself to have been beaten to the punch on that! O how I cried.
Mustard
1043 posts

Sep 06, 2012, 12:17
nigelswift wrote:
i am not being unreasonable. Nor unrealistic, I know people step off pathways etc but if the guardians of a place, in their wisdom, make a specific rule and 99.999% of people carefully keep to it and half a dozen people flout it and sneak in somewhere at night and publicly proclaim it is one of the rules they feel doesnt need to apply to THEM or to anyone else that feels the same way that's pretty unfortunate, to say the least. Its not going to get democracy in China or votes for women its just going to make them look like self-seekers and sends out a truly lousy message.

As for being grateful for such individual thinkers, I think not. Chinese students and women's campaigners yes, breakers of rules that they themselves support as well-founded - no.

Hang on, Nige. You're deferring to the wisdom of English Heritage et al and doing it with a straight face? ;)

You're at it again. I've certainly never "sneaked" into anywhere. I've never "proclaimed" anything. You may disagree with my philosophical position, but your attempts to use loaded and contemptuous language to colour the debate in your favour is really quite poor form.

We've already established that the term "flout" is being used inaccurately. We've already established that no harm is done to anyone or anything when accessing certain sites out of hours. It's fine that you don't agree with that. That's your right. But it's not fine that you insist on sneering at and denigrating anyone who holds a different view. I'm not sure how much clearer we can be over this - I (and I assume others) agree that there are certain sites where it is entirely inappropriate to tread off the official path, access them at all, or access them out of hours. Silbury Hill would be an obvious example. However, I (and I assume others) feel that all rules do not need to be adhered to dogmatically. I would bet that the majority of people who contribute to TMA have stepped off the public footpath at some point to take a photograph.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Sep 06, 2012, 12:18
See above.
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Edited Sep 06, 2012, 12:20
Sep 06, 2012, 12:18
nigelswift wrote:

Of course, not asking the man who had wrecked the place if I could take photos of the wreckage isn't exactly like breaking rules set up by Guardians is it?

Yes it is. It is breaking the rules. It is trespass.
Mustard
1043 posts

Sep 06, 2012, 12:19
nigelswift wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
Mustard wrote:

Exactly, which is why I said of course I have broken rules.

So OK to break some rules but not others? ;)
Pages: 38 – [ Previous | 121 22 23 24 25 26 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index