Climbing on Standing Stones

Pages: 36 – [ Previous | 131 32 33 34 35 36 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
VBB
558 posts

Re: Uffington Horse again and again and again
Mar 08, 2012, 15:52
nigelswift wrote:
There are 2 codes needed, as VBB indicated. One for visitors and one for Guardians. If (and I don't know) NT authorised the horse thing it's good evidence a Guardians one is needed.

The NT have a statement on Britarch that they were unaware of this intervention, but they cannot side-step this that easily. They took money from Big Brother when the television 'reality' show placed their eye symbol alongside the Uffington White Horse, arguing that it could have been done using photo software and they wouldn't have
been paid a penny - well the payment for that includes everyone thinking that it is acceptable to treat a monument in this way.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Mar 08, 2012, 15:53
nigelswift wrote:
There are 2 codes needed, as VBB indicated. One for visitors and one for Guardians. If (and I don't know) NT authorised the horse thing it's good evidence a Guardians one is needed.

Agreed
nigelswift
8112 posts

Mar 08, 2012, 15:59
"Enforcable by directing shame on the National Trust, the local council, and all those that use hill figures as soft targets for such cheapening stunts."

All that can be done by choosing a "shaming" name.....

A press story saying "Paddy Power accused of breaching Monument Code" wouldn't be as bad for them as one that said "Paddy Power accused of flouting ancient monument respect and decency guidelines" !
nigelswift
8112 posts

Mar 08, 2012, 16:13
"we'll need to investigate if the pegs they've used have caused damage to a monument"

... which is the wrong message in itself. The public will think "no damage = no harm". So that's more evidence a Monument Code is needed. It needn't even mention damage, just the intangible harm which NT still don't seem to have taken on board.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Mar 08, 2012, 18:04
VBB wrote:
Chris Collyer wrote:
Unbelievable...

VBB wrote:
with the suggestion that a donation to the national Trust makes this acceptable

I think removing it immediately and hauling those responsible before the courts would more acceptable.

-Chris

Do please everyone let the NT know how you feel about this by e-mail:

[email protected]

Very tasteless indeed! I will email the above address straight away.

Anyone travelling from London by train will know the Uffington White Horse is a signpost that says you are entering the West Country (Cheltenham qualifies) and is quite visible if you are looking - a cheap stunt.
VBB
558 posts

Mar 08, 2012, 18:07
juamei wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-17297495

Its been removed already, but the quote from the Vale of the White Horse District Council is fairly unbelievable:

"We are sure the company involved have ensured no damage has come to the historic chalk drawing."

Well that's ok then...

What a contrast with the responsible attitude adopted by Tewkesbury Borough Council when the same outfit pulled a 'Holywood' stunt there last year. Mella McMahon, the council's corporate head of borough development, said: "The most important issue is to protect the landscape.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/gloucestershire/8575992.stm
GLADMAN
950 posts

Re: Climbing on Standing Stones
Mar 08, 2012, 21:13
I could have picked quite a few, I know. But a typical example of what goes on in South Wales....

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/img_fullsize/100842.jpg
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: Mixed messages or a fundamental respect?
Mar 09, 2012, 14:32
nigelswift wrote:
"come up with and adopt a voluntary code in relation to ancient monuments and encourage everyone to universally adopt it and kids to grow up with it for the sake of respect and understanding"

Oh! You mean rules whereby people don't climb on stones simply out of respect for the wishes of others and where egotists don't think it doesn't apply to them for some reason and where people who query people that do it aren't told to let sleeping dogs lie? Could it happen?

(PS VBB, that's a fantastic bit of writing. Moses himself couldn't have made a better case for keeping off monuments. It's as compelling as the Leave Only Footprints mantra. Maybe it should be published more widely elsewhere?)

Off topic a little, but Codes of Conduct nevertheless didn't mean much to this thug who because of his position avoids a real come-uppence and gets away with a fine that would be like sweet money to him but more importantly, no deterrent to stop him from doing it again.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-17310549
nigelswift
8112 posts

Re: Mixed messages or a fundamental respect?
Mar 09, 2012, 14:53
Neither Codes or laws work in all cases but sometimes would be good.

The trouble with Uffington is that Paddy Power didn't even know it was something they shouldn't be doing. I think there's an info board up there and if it simply said "keep to the code - no stupid stunts please, it encourages others who may then cause damage" it probably wouldn't have happened. Not much to ask of NT is it?
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6210 posts

Re: Climbing on Standing Stones
Mar 09, 2012, 21:26
It doesn't get much grimmer, does it? That's what happens when sites are abandoned and no-one knows what they are. The locals won't take pride in a place like that, not without increasing awareness of what it is they're trashing.

That picture epitomises, for me anyway, what I tried to get across earlier in the thread about the need to get out there and champion these forgotten sites. For me, this should be getting every bit as much priority as the well known show sites. And this isn't a remote site on a mountain top, it's close to habitation. It could easily be transformed into something worth caring about.
Pages: 36 – [ Previous | 131 32 33 34 35 36 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index