Pages: 36 – [ Previous | 130 31 32 33 34 35 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
VBB
558 posts

Uffington Horse again and again and again
Mar 08, 2012, 13:48
VBB wrote:
“Every generation gets the Stonehenge it deserves”

With the Uffington White Horse vandalised once again, with the suggestion that a donation to the national Trust makes this acceptable, I hope those that think the Monuments Code isn't needed can think again!

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4180538/Paddy-Power-puts-a-jockey-on-the-Uffington-White-Horse-to-promote-Cheltenham-Festival.html
Chris Collyer
849 posts

Re: Uffington Horse again and again and again
Mar 08, 2012, 14:25
Unbelievable...

VBB wrote:
with the suggestion that a donation to the national Trust makes this acceptable

I think removing it immediately and hauling those responsible before the courts would more acceptable.

-Chris
VBB
558 posts

Mar 08, 2012, 14:30
Chris Collyer wrote:
Unbelievable...

VBB wrote:
with the suggestion that a donation to the national Trust makes this acceptable

I think removing it immediately and hauling those responsible before the courts would more acceptable.

-Chris

Do please everyone let the NT know how you feel about this by e-mail:

[email protected]
juamei
juamei
2013 posts

Mar 08, 2012, 14:45
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-17297495

Its been removed already, but the quote from the Vale of the White Horse District Council is fairly unbelievable:

"We are sure the company involved have ensured no damage has come to the historic chalk drawing."

Well that's ok then...
nigelswift
8112 posts

Mar 08, 2012, 14:53
Paddy Power, Trinny and Susannah, Big Brother, and (I think) the pro-hunting people have all had a go here.

And what's the connection between all four? They're all trying to get the attention of unthinking oiks.

Yes, a Monuments Code is needed. It would have stopped all four and the next four.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Mar 08, 2012, 15:14
nigelswift wrote:
Paddy Power, Trinny and Susannah, Big Brother, and (I think) the pro-hunting people have all had a go here.

And what's the connection between all four? They're all trying to get the attention of unthinking oiks.

Yes, a Monuments Code is needed. It would have stopped all four and the next four.

Are you thinking in terms of a Code that's enforceable in law Nigel?
nigelswift
8112 posts

Mar 08, 2012, 15:21
No of course not.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Mar 08, 2012, 15:25
nigelswift wrote:
No of course not.

Well is it likely to work then against those who don't give a toss? Of course the answer is no, but I certainly agree we do need a code so that at least it can be pointed out to them and get more people on-side.
VBB
558 posts

Mar 08, 2012, 15:28
Sanctuary wrote:
nigelswift wrote:

Are you thinking in terms of a Code that's enforceable in law Nigel?

Enforcable by directing shame on the National Trust, the local council, and all those that use hill figures as soft targets for such cheapening stunts.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Mar 08, 2012, 15:34
There are 2 codes needed, as VBB indicated. One for visitors and one for Guardians. If (and I don't know) NT authorised the horse thing it's good evidence a Guardians one is needed.
Pages: 36 – [ Previous | 130 31 32 33 34 35 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index