Eire »
www.archaeology.ie update

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
bawn79
bawn79
864 posts

www.archaeology.ie update
Jun 08, 2011, 20:46
I was checking www.archaeology.ie and it seems to have gotten a complete overhaul.

Ive only checked North Tipp so far but it has full archaeological description for each site and the search speeds are much improved.

The North Tipp database seems to included some sites that werent in the original hard copy version so this looks very exciting. I checked South Tipp (which doesnt have a hard copy Inventory published yet) and this doesnt have descriptions yet unfortunately.
ryaner
ryaner
679 posts

Re: www.archaeology.ie update
Jun 09, 2011, 01:26
All I can say to this upgrade is wow – vastly improved, awesome.
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Jun 09, 2011, 07:26
That looks so much better than it was! A worldful of time-wasting folklore tracking awaits.

And you can put in coordinates now, I don't think you could before, that's useful?
(it'd still be nice to be able to pick out a particular era for the search though?)
TheStandingStone
218 posts

Jun 09, 2011, 07:40
bawn79 wrote:
I was checking www.archaeology.ie and it seems to have gotten a complete overhaul.

Ive only checked North Tipp so far but it has full archaeological description for each site and the search speeds are much improved.

The North Tipp database seems to included some sites that werent in the original hard copy version so this looks very exciting. I checked South Tipp (which doesnt have a hard copy Inventory published yet) and this doesnt have descriptions yet unfortunately.

Great! I rarely use it because it's such a pain in the arse but I will using it a lot now! Thanks for letting us know...
bogman
55 posts

Jun 10, 2011, 21:24
Good news, aother resourse to be utilised
bawn79
bawn79
864 posts

Re: regarding Grid Refs on Arch.ie
Jun 16, 2011, 10:22
The site seems to be down but from what I can recall, if you click on the print icon beside the entry a popup should appear with site details.
One of the numbers given is a approx 10 digit ref. If you drop the first number of the code and the 5 number this gives you an eight digit OS Grid Ref, use the below site then to figure out which letter the area is under.

For instance Tory Island is B

http://www.gridreference.ie/

Hope that is of some help
The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index