Register
The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Trethevy Quoit »
Who's going to be there this weekend?

Pages: 16 – [ Previous | 18 9 10 11 12 13 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
stonefree
68 posts

Re: Who's going to be there this weekend?
May 01, 2011, 10:16
tiompan wrote:
Mr Hamhead wrote:
David (Horsedrawn) has the evidence...and I have seen it in practice. But how can we in the 21st century prove, or disprove, what he is telling us?

As I have already said, I am not convinced but I am not in a position to say he is wrong.

We have not been presented with any evidence . If there is evidence then it is potentially falsifiable , until then it's anecdotal

How very sad that your base level for discussion, tiompan, appears to be nothing more than scathing cynicism, distrust and provocation. It's hardly fertile ground for open and frank discussion, let alone the presentation of new ideas, is it now?
nigelswift
8112 posts

May 01, 2011, 10:57
Don't you think the best way to establish he is guilty of "scathing cynicism, distrust and provocation" would be to lay out what you say together with the evidence you base it on? I must have missed it.

No-one can either ask for or supply "proof" that would be silly, but equally if you're going to opine anything it's best to say precisely what you base your opinion on so people can weigh what you say. If you don't offer any evidence they're entitled to say you aren't offering any evidence and they shouldn't be criticised for so doing.
StoneGloves
StoneGloves
1149 posts

May 01, 2011, 13:25
Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. As we were taught at school. I'm sad that someone said they would measure the hole in the capstone, at some coming weekend, and then didn't. I thought there was going to be a local world record set, and then there wasn't. "A person is as good as their word'.

I've got a valve-powered ultrasonic cleaner going. It works a little bit but makes a fearsome noise. I've also a response letter, from Northumberland west planners, dealing with my decade old complaint of a road built without planning permission, but it has been unopened for three weeks. I guess I know what it is going to say - (something like) blergh blergh blergh, it wasn't us, honest, mister.
nigelswift
8112 posts

May 01, 2011, 13:39
Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Is that what you said about your homework?
Resonox
604 posts

May 01, 2011, 13:52
StoneGloves wrote:
Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. .
Only your heart growing fonder is evidence of that! ;0P
StoneGloves
StoneGloves
1149 posts

May 01, 2011, 16:10
It was drilled into the eleven students that subscribed to the Geophysics module in year two. The lecturer was given early retirement at the end of said academic year, against his will.
StoneGloves
StoneGloves
1149 posts

May 01, 2011, 16:16
Yes, I have started thinking about her again!
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

May 01, 2011, 16:39
StoneGloves wrote:
Yes, I have started thinking about her again!

Maybe this is the wrong time to show you a hole then :D
http://i26.servimg.com/u/f26/16/16/85/69/p1010011.jpg
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Edited May 02, 2011, 09:46
May 01, 2011, 16:41
stonefree wrote:
tiompan wrote:
Mr Hamhead wrote:
David (Horsedrawn) has the evidence...and I have seen it in practice. But how can we in the 21st century prove, or disprove, what he is telling us?

As I have already said, I am not convinced but I am not in a position to say he is wrong.

We have not been presented with any evidence . If there is evidence then it is potentially falsifiable , until then it's anecdotal

How very sad that your base level for discussion, tiompan, appears to be nothing more than scathing cynicism, distrust and provocation. It's hardly fertile ground for open and frank discussion, let alone the presentation of new ideas, is it now?

After more than 50 posts you(se) still have provided nothing , conveniently ignoring anything that proves awkward and when stuck getting personal and patronising , probably the only way you can still get some attention seeing as there is nothing else .
Look back at the earlier posts there was ample opportunity to present "new ideas " . Nigel S has responed eloquently enough to your post so I'll not bother any more except .

Yer a bam .
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

May 01, 2011, 18:11
After more than 50 posts you(se) still have provided nothing , conveniently ignoring anything that proves awkward and when stuck getting personal and patronising , probably the only way you can still get some attenmtion seeing as there is nothing else .
Look back at the earlier posts there was ample opportunity to present "new ideas " . Nigel S has responed eloquently enough to your post so I'll not bother any more except .

Yer a bam .

Aye, fully concur there Mr t. These two fellas have had opportunity aplenty to present some of their observations (if not some evidence) for comment here, but continue to sidestep the, “Please show us” question at every turn.

Time to show us what you’ve found gentlemen or become yet another -

”...poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more: ...a tale...
full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.”
Pages: 16 – [ Previous | 18 9 10 11 12 13 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index