OT: Wells and folklore

46 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Branwen
824 posts

Edited Oct 02, 2009, 14:02
Re: OT: Wells and folklore
Oct 02, 2009, 13:59
Well it certainly clarified my thinking about the local Well O' Weary to have been able to bounce ideas around with youse guys. I've added my conclusions as a comment to the stone page relating to the subject. I know it's a minor little site, but in the past the most interesting stuff I've researched has come about from doggedly tracking down one little story, which in other works is just dealt with slightly, as part of a bigger genre. And some stories about a place really do help dating it, as the elements within the stories might be dateable to, say, the celts, for instance. So it's a worthwhile exercise.

In Scotland the Celtic Church took over before the Roman Church did. The earlier Celtic Church had a lot more pagan practices in it, such as the belief in magic, reverence for nature, worshipping outdoors, creation and god being one... They also kept some of the earlier pagan customs such as the druid tonsure, and dated Easter differently, which the Roman church didn't like. They came to a head in a power struggle and the Roman Church won, basically.

The Servants of God, Cuile De, are the remnants of that celtic church. I read that Cuile De, Catholic, and Druid groups are working to revive this church today, though, like Druid groups, there are neo Cuile-De revivalist groups popping up all over already, which don't quite agree on what to be. Some are very new age, some set on reconstructionism.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index