Wells O' Wearie »
OT: Wells and folklore

Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Branwen
824 posts

Re: OT: Wells and folklore
Oct 07, 2009, 13:59
Oh heck Wideford, just as I close the page on the wells o wearie you set me off again..........LOL
Branwen
824 posts

Edited Dec 10, 2009, 16:13
Dec 10, 2009, 02:00
I was listening to a song from 1570 written by the daughter of a MacGregor whose father had just been executed. The traditional refrain which appears in many laments through the ages is:

"Bheir Mi Oh" or "Sad Am I (without you)"

In gaelic, in some dialects, it sounds like "Weer Ri Oh". Or "Weary-Oh" which perhaps explains why a well of death gets the name Weary Well too. Perhaps place names with weary can be assosciated with funeral rites Wideford?

also, been meaning to post some usefull books on well lore here:-

SACRED WATERS (1986)
Holy Wells and Water Lore in Britain and Ireland
by
Janet and Colin Bord.

CURES AND CURSES (2006)
Ritual and Cult at Holy Wells
BY
Janet Bord

HOLY WELLS IN BRITAIN (2008)
A Guide
by
Janet Bord.

THE FESTIVAL OF LUGHNASA (1962)
by Maire MacNeill
Oxford University Press
XII.Assemblies at Lakes and Rivers
XIII.Assemblies at Wells
Branwen
824 posts

Jan 12, 2010, 00:54
I meant to ask, Martin, would there be any chance of using a photo you posted of St Antony's well for a piece of digital art?
Dog in fog
Dog in fog
317 posts

Jul 16, 2020, 12:23
I thought this would be an interesting addition to this thread:

https://soundcloud.com/fairfolkcast/water-of-death

"This episode witnesses the troubled relationship between the folklore of wells and springs and memories of trauma and violation. It discusses the vulnerability and suffering of women and Jews under medieval Christianity that is symbolized in the image of the well and processed through the embodied act of singing."

Misty.
Dog in fog
Dog in fog
317 posts

Jul 18, 2020, 16:22
https://soundcloud.com/fairfolkcast/water-of-life

"The first in a series on wells and springs, this episode explores the phenomenon of wells and springs in mythology and spiritual belief and practice. Wells for magic, wells for healing, wells for wisdom and love; wells for the pure awe and wonder of living water."
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Jul 23, 2020, 11:19
It always feels a bit weird when someone resurrects an old thread from eleven years ago - especially given that some of the contributors are sadly no longer around. I haven't re-read most of the posts because from this distance they do make me feel a bit sad.

However, I was recently given The Fish Ladder A Journey Upstream - by Katherine Norbury. In many ways it is her personal memoir combining her journey with nine year old daughter to follow rivers upstream to their source. Philip Pullman describes it as " ... a luminous sort of book, beautifully written, darting here and there like a kingfisher over a stream."
I've just been reading the chapter on 'holy' well Ffynnon Fawr which is found at the western tip of Llyn Peninsula and thought I would mention this lovely book here. As my mother used to say "You never miss the water until the well runs dry". And never more apt.
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index