The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Durrington Walls »
Durrington walls.

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
AnnaDevon
9 posts

Durrington walls.
Apr 15, 2009, 16:14
I plan on visiting Avebury, Silbury hill, WKLB and then a drive past Stonehenge and was wondering if there is there anything to see at Durrington walls and are members of the public allowed on the land?

I remember watching a time team special on Durrington walls a couple of years ago, ahs anyone ben there and found it of interest?
megadread
1202 posts

Re: Durrington walls.
Apr 15, 2009, 22:43
Yes there's still parts that can be seen plus the opposite side of the lane is a very interesting site, i forget it's name now. ; )
http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/455/woodhenge.html
Chance
80 posts

Apr 16, 2009, 01:15
Hi Anna

In answer to your question about what you can see of the Durrington Walls Henge, I have ftp'd some pictures taken from the old road which runs through the site. Unfortunately there are no information boards on any part of the henge, so unless you have a map of the area, you wouldn't even know you were driving through the henge. There is however a picnic area with parking sign posted off the A345 Durrington to Amesbury road. This also serves as the parking for Woodhenge.

Might I suggest you read up on some posts on this site to familiarize yourself with the layout of the Stonehenge area, before you visit.

Check out the maps at http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/img_fullsize/72943.jpg and
http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/img_fullsize/72944.jpg for an overall picture.

You can pull off the road at various points and park up if you slow down enough before you reach them.

Travelling East down the A303, you can turn off the droveway and walk down to Bush barrow and Normanton Down.

Again on the A303, you can go around the Long barrow roundabout, park in the lay-by and walk up to the Winterbourne Stoke group.

Travel back up the A303 past Stonehenge and slow down when you get past Stonehenge Bottom, pull off to the right by the cottages and park. You can walk up to the New and Old King Barrows from here, as well as, seeing Stonehenge, the Cursus and possibly the Avenue.

Parking in the Stonehenge car park is free and you could always walk to sites listed above.

If you do visit Silbury hill and WKLB, take the time to check out Swallowhead Spring while your there. I'm Sure your'll love it

Good fortune on the road Anna

Chance
Pete G
Pete G
3506 posts

Apr 16, 2009, 02:18
I was there today.
if you follow the signs for Woodhenge and park up, there is a new notice board showing the layout of Durrington walls,
PeteG
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Apr 16, 2009, 11:31
Some good info there - cheers, Chance!

I remember some years ago taking a drive around Stonehenge, etc, and driving up and down the road thinking "I'm SURE Durrington Walls is around here somewhere!" - I'd not done me research, and suffice to say I didn't find it. Although, obviously, unbeknown to me I'd actually driven though it umpteen times in my search! :D

I've really not explored the Stonehenge area too much - probably cos it's just up the road for me, and cos it's too "obvious"/busy/touristy - but your post has made me wanna go explore!

G x
AnnaDevon
9 posts

Apr 18, 2009, 16:05
Thank-you all very much for the replies.

I can remember going to Woodhenge many years ago but had no idea about Durrington Walls then.

Chance, those maps are really helpful, now I can get the whole area into perspective. I can't believe how many Barrows and Ditches are in that area.
As you say, parking in the Stonehenge car park is a good starting point for walking to many of these sites.

Thanks Pete, I will look out for the signpost regarding Durrington Walls while at Woodhenge.
tonyh
247 posts

Apr 18, 2009, 17:46
Pete gave Me a guided tour of the Walls and really knows His stuff..

Tony
The Eternal
924 posts

Apr 19, 2009, 00:38
Anna,
If driving north from Salisbury on the A345, passing through Amesbury, the road actually goes straight through the eastern sector of Durrington Walls.
It's very distracting, whilst in charge of quite a weight of steel, trying hard not to look at the banks and ditches, which are all too visible. They aren't as noticeable as those at Avebury, but, to the (modern) antiquarian eye, they are very obvious.
As for access, I've never tried. PeteG is probably the one to take advice from.
Best of luck, and let us all know how you get on.
Cheers,
TE.
Cunetio
1 posts

Apr 25, 2009, 15:59
If it is not too late Anna.

There is full public access at Woodhenge and Durrington Walls. Mind the newish Nation Trust gates as they had very powerful springs.

Admire the handsome folk on the Durington Walls display board :-) as well as the beautiful setting of the earth bank, the Walls or Henge. Try and imagine the site filled with small rectangular huts and two wooden circles like Woodhenge.
baza
baza
1308 posts

Apr 26, 2009, 09:56
....And.....

There is also, now, free access to the nearby Cuckoo Stone:

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/3255/cuckoo_stone.html

Until last year you had to climb over the fence to get to this one.

Hoorah!

baza
The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index