The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Between The Eyes

13 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Annexus Quam
926 posts

Re: Between The Eyes
Mar 11, 2002, 13:38
Yeah, Caergog, your right in the St Jacques / St James / Santiago Route thing, it's undoubtedly an Ur-Ancient route taken up by incoming christians. It starts in France and finishes near the Finisterre / Land's End, in an area where Neolithic tradition was incredibly strong. But the Roman road I am referring to is one of the few mountain passes in the very centre of Western Iberia that used to communicate the northern and southern native tribes and pastures.

Fitz, exactly, Roman armies were made up of mercenaries of all sorts, including for the main part belligerent germanic and celtic tribes (even Hadrian had Iberian origins), which makes me really sad when I think about it, but which is clearly understandable when we think that neither the Kelts nor the Germanic tribes were a nation nor considered themselves as one, nor were they racially uniform. Indeed, the term Kelt is a good one, as it stands beyond the Roman concept of a uniform people, whereas, in fact, the many different 'Celtic' tribes themselves conquered in some cases, mingled with in other cases, an earlier much more ancient Neolithic people where-ever they settled.

Fourwinds, I'll talk to you soon, thanks for the offer, but the Gentleman Dude RG has already offered his services and that is always temptingly wicked!

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index