Register
The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Books of possible interest

Pages: 47 – [ Previous | 141 42 43 44 45 46 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: Alisdair Writtle - The Harmony of Symbols....
Jan 08, 2013, 12:01
Littlestone wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
moss wrote:

The causewayed enclosure at Windmill Hill was excavated by Alexander Keiller, and there are some fascinating insights into the bones found in the excavation, lost my copy sadly....

Still got mine somewhere. Cost 5 shillings I recall :-)

5 shillings! Bet you could get change out of a farthing back then and buy a bag of chips ;-) Can remember buying ice-creams with little silver thruppenny bits though...

I wasn't going THAT far back LS :-)
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Re: Alisdair Writtle - The Harmony of Symbols....
Jan 08, 2013, 13:13
Sanctuary wrote:

I wasn't going THAT far back LS :-)

Aye, and pennies with Queen Vic on one side and Britannia on t’other. Four gobstoppers for an ha'penny, liquorish whips (don’t ask) and liquorish sticks that’d last a day and a half and leave a trail of chewed fibre behind you that’d stretch back for miles. We even used to put our chewing gum into water overnight. Them were the days, the rot set in when we joined the EU.
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Edited Jan 27, 2013, 19:06
Richard Morris: Time's Anvil
Jan 27, 2013, 19:05
Time's Anvil: England, Archaeology and the Imagination by Richard Morris.

The ground beneath our feet is made up of layers upon layers of history, the accumulated evidence of human existence from the millennia of prehistory to the hours of yesterday. These pasts are vertiginous, ever-expanding and engulfing, and it is this dizzying panorama of the vast, tangled mass of what has gone before that Richard Morris sets out to map in Time's Anvil. For Morris, this book is an "expedition" into the past, and as such it is both expansive and singular. But Time's Anvil is also an impassioned history and defence of archaeology, a history of humanity in England, and a heartfelt meditation on transience and mortality.
moss
moss
2897 posts

How Ancient Europeans Saw the World:
Mar 30, 2013, 11:23
Visions, Patterns and the Shaping of the Mind in Prehistoric Times by Peter S. Wells

http://blogcritics.org/books/article/book-review-how-ancient-europeans-saw/?

Quite a good review of this American? book, I suspect a bit like 'Mind in the Cave', anyway the review gives food for thought....
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6216 posts

Guide to Mysterious Loch Ness
Apr 05, 2013, 22:40
"The Guide To Mysterious Loch Ness" by Geoff Holder (2007 Tempus)

A rather fine book covering lots of sites in the area around Inverness and Loch Ness, includes folkore, "paranormal" stuff, prehistory, sites of historical interest, very readable and basically a narrative gazetteer.

Well worth looking for if you're getting to know the area around Loch Ness (Drew).
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2557 posts

Re: Guide to Mysterious Loch Ness
Apr 06, 2013, 01:22
Yup a good book, going back up fairly soon :-)
thelonious
330 posts

Edited Apr 06, 2013, 08:57
Re: Books of possible interest
Apr 06, 2013, 08:56
Two novels with only a small link to anything megalithic but I like them very much so thought I'd mention them in case anyone else might be interested.

The Testament of Gideon Mack by James Robertson - I've read a few of his books now and like them a lot. Gideon Mack is my favourite though. The testament of a faithless minister, centring on his disappearance and reappearance 3 days later. The book starts off with his encounter with a standing stone that has suddenly appeared in the nearby wood. The book makes reference to Robert Kirk and his book 'The Secret Commonwealth of Elves, Fauns and Fairies'. Stones, folklore and meetings with the devil, I can't recommend this enough.

Thomas the Rhymer by Ellen Kushner - I was a bit nervous about reading this one, as the legends of Thomas the Rhymer are favourites of mine. It's not the most in depth story and the book doesn't really go anywhere but for me, it's hard to imagine a better novel about Thomas. If you have any interest in the folklore surrounding Thomas the Rhymer, the Eildon Hills near Melrose and his meeting with the Queen of Elfland at the Eildon tree, this book is well worth looking for.
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Trethevy Quoit: Cornwall’s Megalithic Masterpiece
Apr 06, 2013, 12:38
Trethevy Quoit: Cornwall’s Megalithic Masterpiece by Roy Goutte.

“This excellent and thoughtful book gives a somewhat different explanation of the construction and subsequent history of the prehistoric Trethevy Quoit burial chamber in Cornwall. The author, Roy Goutte, has spent many hours studying the chamber first hand and has come to his own fascinating conclusion as to how the cromlech arrived in its present form. The reader is introduced, step-by-step, to the author’s observations and theories through historical references, photographs, diagrams and several model reconstructions of this Cornish ‘Jewel in the Crown’ structure from the Neolithic (and how it may have originally looked). His findings are thorough and convincing with certain aspects truly ground-breaking; it would take an even more thorough investigation to successfully argue against the possibilities he advances.”

More here.
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

The Testament of Gideon Mack: James Robertson
Apr 06, 2013, 12:41
The Testament of Gideon Mack by James Robertson.

Good stuff (sounds vaguely like Tolkien’s, Smith of Wooton Major).
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Re: Books of possible interest
Apr 06, 2013, 13:21
It's the only novel of his I hivnae read . Looking forward to the Lockerbie one .
Pages: 47 – [ Previous | 141 42 43 44 45 46 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index