Sep 25, 2012, 12:08
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
tiompan wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
tiompan wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
tiompan wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
I have recently finished 'The Silver Bough' by Neil M Gunn and must recommend it to all here.

My third Gunn book and i've been absolutely entranced by each one, but this is my favourite so far. (Im going to have to read them all)

His communication is so rarefied it feels almost peverse.
I've only ever read one other author in the same league, imo, and thats John Cowper Powys.

I cannot recommend this book highly enough.

Some mp3's
http://www.neilgunn.org.uk/
That's the first mention of JCP I have come across in a very long time .

Thanks for the link Tiompan. Have you read Wolf Solent by JCP?

Wolf Solent, Weymouth Sands , one of the later shorter novellas but can't remember which one .Still got "In defence of sensuality " . Village books which used to be in Regent street reprinted some of his stuff in the early 70 's as well as as championing quite a few other obscure ,mainly British authors .

I've got Wolf Solent and A Glastonbury Romance. I didn't get on with GR as well as Wolf Solent.
'In defence of sensuality' was one I liked the look of. I also want to read 'autobiography'.

I avoided GR for some reason , maybe on advice .Big tomes eh ,although IDOS isn't . His brother , T.F was also an author .

Yes, Llewelyn also.
Big tomes indeed! I was initially daunted by the length of WS, but after just the first page could not leave it alone for more than a few hours at a time. I'd never thought it possible a book could speak to me like that, without wanting to sound trite.
Easily my favourite novel.

I will tackle Porius at some point, i've decided. But it requires preparation!

Maybe the secret with the big stuff is immersion .
Dunno Porius . I wasn't that struck with IDOS .
Another of the village reprint authors was Arthur Machen .
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Re: Silver Bough
Sep 25, 2012, 12:50
tiompan wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
tiompan wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
tiompan wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
tiompan wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
I have recently finished 'The Silver Bough' by Neil M Gunn and must recommend it to all here.

My third Gunn book and i've been absolutely entranced by each one, but this is my favourite so far. (Im going to have to read them all)

I've only ever read one other author in the same league, imo, and thats John Cowper Powys.

Some mp3's

Wolf Solent, Weymouth Sands , one of the later shorter novellas but can't remember which one .Still got "In defence of sensuality " . Village books which used to be in Regent street reprinted some of his stuff in the early 70 's as well as as championing quite a few other obscure ,mainly British authors .

I've got Wolf Solent and A Glastonbury Romance. I didn't get on with GR as well as Wolf Solent.
'In defence of sensuality' was one I liked the look of. I also want to read 'autobiography'.

I avoided GR for some reason , maybe on advice .Big tomes eh ,although IDOS isn't . His brother , T.F was also an author .

Yes, Llewelyn also.
Big tomes indeed! I was initially daunted by the length of WS, but after just the first page could not leave it alone for more than a few hours at a time. I'd never thought it possible a book could speak to me like that, without wanting to sound trite.

cheers, will have a look at Machen.
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Re: Silver Bough
Sep 25, 2012, 13:09
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
tiompan wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
tiompan wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
tiompan wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
tiompan wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:

Some mp3's

Yes, Llewelyn also.

cheers, will have a look at Machen.

You may well like him but he's quite different from JCP .
CARL
511 posts

Re: Books of possible interest
Sep 25, 2012, 13:52
Stone Circles (Mysteries of the Ancient World) (1997) - Aubrey Burl £1.99
Recently picked it up in a charity shop for £1.00
Only 40 pages but with lots of colour photos and a brief but interesting overview of the stone circles of Britain and Ireland.
This is a really good book for the general reader who has just started to take an interest in stone circles. Well worth my £1.00 coin!
Rhiannon
5291 posts

The Star-Crossed Stone
Nov 23, 2012, 13:22
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=iVjGp_ncKxAC

About fossil sea urchins being found in prehistoric graves...

I think I might make it my christmas present to myself :)
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Edited Nov 23, 2012, 13:39
Re: The Star-Crossed Stone
Nov 23, 2012, 13:32
Rhiannon wrote:
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=iVjGp_ncKxAC

About fossil sea urchins being found in prehistoric graves...

I think I might make it my christmas present to myself :)

Sea urchin (uni) is my favourite food – it’d not only be on my Christmas prezzie list it'd be on my condemned man’s last meal dish.

Sorry... I digress...
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Robert Macfarlane: The Old Ways: A Journey on Foot
Nov 25, 2012, 13:29
Maybe something else for a stocking filler-

The Old Ways: A Journey on Foot by Robert Macfarlane.

“Macfarlane's search in this book is for the ancient routes that criss-cross the landscape – mainly in Britain, but with occasional forays to more exotic spots. So we meander with Macfarlane not just along the old tracks of the Icknield Way and the Ridgeway, but also, more fleetingly, on "a branch line of the most famous pilgrimage route of them all, the Camino de Santiago" and on Buddhist trails in the eastern Himalayas, exploring the links between topography and belief. The subtitle of the book is "A Journey on Foot", but in reality it is not one journey, but many, and not all are on foot: some of the best passages are about the old seapaths and ocean roads linking the islands of the Outer Hebrides with Norway, Iceland and Orkney. Like the pathways that weave the countryside together, there is no central spine to this book. Instead it is held together by a tight matrix of ideas about "the compact between walking and writing", and how roads bind us to the land, and to our past.

“The poet and walker Edward Thomas (1878-1917) is a constant presence. It was his book on the Icknield Way that first led Macfarlane to his theme, and Macfarlane is fascinated by Thomas's idea of how an ancient road can be part of a ghost world "secretly sharing the landscape with the living" where you can connect with the thoughts, feelings and stories of previous walkers along the same footpaths: "walking as seance". He writes how "in the dusk of the Holloways, these pasts felt excitingly alive and co-existent – as if time had somehow pleated back on itself". Like Thomas, he is in love with the notion "that history issues from geography in the same way that water issues from a spring".”
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Re: Stonehenge - Mike Parker Pearson
Nov 30, 2012, 09:20
Sanctuary wrote:
moss wrote:
Well the latest theory and the latest book to go with the breaking news yesterday on the subject... £25 though.

http://books.simonandschuster.co.uk/Stonehenge/Mike-Parker-Pearson/9780857207302

I see you can get this as an ebook for £11.99 as well Moss which seems a bit of a steal. It's page numbers have gone down to 384 from 415 I noticed. Would this mean there are no photos as I've never read an ebook?

See also the lecture here scheduled for 23 February 2013 at the Wiltshire Heritage Museum.
texlahoma
texlahoma
891 posts

præ 2012ce
Dec 15, 2012, 23:31
I've just self published my second books of photos. If you like my photos on here you'll more than likely enjoy enjoy it.

http://www.blurb.co.uk/bookstore/detail/3874087
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Re: præ 2012ce
Dec 16, 2012, 08:23
Love it! Especially the pics of the Hellstone. Great stuff! :)

G x
Pages: 47 – [ Previous | 137 38 39 40 41 42 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index