Register
The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
The Pinner Ring??

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
andygreyweather
94 posts

The Pinner Ring??
Feb 23, 2007, 18:25
In 1970 Michael Pennock found two large Sarsen stones in his garden at number 22, Cannon Lane, Pinner, Middlesex.
One was craned across to Pinner Memorial Gardens and a plaque was attached ... yet ... with other Sarsens found locally ... might there be historical suggestions of a Pinner Stone Circle?

Whilst one of the largest long barrows in the UK (much eroded) sits quietly and barely known on Stanmore Common and other local stones such as the Hare Stone ... (once again overgrown) ... and The Wealdstone ... have some celebrity ... I'd be interested if anyone has any additional information about the Pinner Sarsens?
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Re: The Pinner Ring??
Feb 24, 2007, 11:50
Where's this barrow on Stanmore common then?
ocifant
ocifant
1758 posts

Feb 24, 2007, 18:05
andygreyweather wrote:
Whilst one of the largest long barrows in the UK (much eroded) sits quietly and barely known on Stanmore Common ...

I'd love this to be true somehow, but the Magic map has this marked as a Pillow Mound. What proof is there that it's a long barrow?
andygreyweather
94 posts

Feb 25, 2007, 18:05
I'll dig out the proof ... there were various mounds around Stanmore Common mostly 18thC ... there is a bronze age barrow and a much eroded LONG BARROW which is located near the fork in the stream.
andygreyweather
94 posts

Feb 25, 2007, 18:29
For information about the Long Barrow (much eroded) on Stanmore Common, see: Harrow Archaeology Survey Project (1985) by C.J.Watkins. It is some 400m NW of Warren Lane and near to the round barrow. Yes, some refer to it as a pillow mound ... it is very very eroded ... C.J. Watkins stated without excavation "Either it served as a neolithic long barrow or a medieval pillow mound". The mound is aligned almost North/South.

The circular mound morphology accords well with it being a burial mound.

OK ... I know the old story ... two Stones are a Cove, three proof of a circle ...

The 1985 report states that neither mound appears in/on any OS Map ...

The conclusion is that both sites require excavation to conclude their actual use.

One Neolithic? One Bronze Age?

I can't exactly call in Time Teams after the Cherry Picker incident last year :>) What ever the truth, W.W.Druett suggests Stanmore Common as a Druid Stronghold ... and someone sent me a book about the sacred Haroow-On-The-Hill ... but unfortunately they got most of their facts 'from a dream' ....

Oh well ... off to look at some Buckinghamshire Pudding Stone in the week ...
dee
1955 posts

Feb 25, 2007, 18:30
I would love to know if it is a longbarrow, I have been meaning to visit Stanmore Common for a long time.....I heard it was a pillow mound but would love it if you could prove otherwise!
andygreyweather
94 posts

Feb 25, 2007, 19:54
Me too Dee ... I suppose we all secretly want to discover something of such archaeological magnitude ... I grew up around there and scarry but true: George Michael was the school-disco DJ, Marilyn used to get the train into London from Watford Junction and I even remember David Bowie living in an ambulance outside the Granada Cinema ... Alvin Stardust lived in Thistlecroft Gardens ... my Mum knew Matt Lucas and his Mum ... I saw the invisible man aka The Man from Uncle aka Steel and Roger Moore lived in Gordon Avenue, Stanmore ... in fact, I had to collect jumble from the Moore house, an old arts and crafts Tudour house ... My upbringing was a bit like Stella Street ... so no wonder I turned to stones!
dee
1955 posts

Feb 25, 2007, 19:57
Does it look anything like a longbarrow? Do you have any pics?
andygreyweather
94 posts

Feb 25, 2007, 21:40
The mound is very eroded ... though fortunately (in the sense that it's somewhat protected by its anonymity) difficult to find ... I'll dig some photos out. It's very overgrown though once you realize where you are and where it is ... it's easy to make out the ditch and relative shape. It is about 50m long by about 15m wide ... considerably less than the 90m x 25m of West Kennet Long Barrow sure ... and the Stanmore Common mound height is about a maximum 1.5m; though as I say ... it is very eroded. Stanmore Common is some what boggy in parts, although as a whole, it's used as an open space ... any weekend you'll find a fair few people walking around, dogs, families, joggers etc. The Grimm's Dyke is quite near and of course, Stanmore means 'Stoney Ground'.

The Venerable Bede called the area a Pagan Stronghold ...
dee
1955 posts

Feb 26, 2007, 12:20
Sound great, I will visit soon!
The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index