The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
rub your arse

Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Annexus Quam
926 posts

rub your arse
Feb 17, 2002, 19:30
So have you ever come across a standing stone (natural or not natural - it is hard to say) where dudes - still today! - supposedly 'rub their arses'? I just saw a bunch of young locals walking up the hill towards the stone.

Not being of naive conviction, I know that many of these pagan sites had their characters softened; we all know that penises and vulvas vanished with christianity and were relegated to satanic worship and other devious forms of disney-fied church blurb. So I presume that what the old dude meant by 'rub their arse' most possibly meant 'rub their sex' (for fertility reasons).

It is great to still see the pre-christian so evident (although so faded in the collective memory) in post-technological Europe.

I am sure if we collected many examples we would come up with a common denominator.
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Re: rub your arse
Feb 17, 2002, 20:33
And I shall hassle thee ... which stone was this? Just so I know which stone not to practice the ancient ritual of 'Stone Licking' at.

There were a few fertility rituals in Ireland associated with the stones and a few tombs, but I think most of these died out in the 1950s/60s.

I know just the person to ask.
Annexus Quam
926 posts

Re: rub your arse
Feb 17, 2002, 20:51
Ha ha ha! Good one, ask and ask fast. This is a matter of life and death. There are just so many of these stones everywhere near villages that it is so hard to overlook them (unless you are a civilized XXth century dweller, that is). I mean, we are one and the same, yet have lost the attention-span, BUT if we see something then it is the same thing the ancients used to see. This equation is unbeatable regardless of the interpretative conundrum that results. But with a bit of the ancient knowledge, folklore and the archaeological evidence we already have, it is easy to see something more than just a few natural rocks here and there. Plus, they all have weird names too! The only ones I seem to remember are featured in Julian's Antiq are Bowerman's Nose and Brimham Rocks.
Annexus Quam
926 posts

and...
Feb 17, 2002, 23:29
oh and the gorsedds get a mention too
Wotan
Wotan
606 posts

Re: come again?
Feb 18, 2002, 11:38
In the same (blue) vein, is there any folklore or records to suggest that such rituals would involve a strategically placed cleft in a rock, allowing a little action between the male shaman and his symbolic goddess? "lie back and think of Albion" perhaps ?
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

Feb 18, 2002, 11:48
You dirty sod

x
Wotan
Wotan
606 posts

Re:Why not ?
Feb 18, 2002, 12:12
Phallic shaped stones turn up, so its a natural assumption - brings another meaning to 'rock hard'
:-)
IronMan
IronMan
601 posts

Feb 18, 2002, 12:38
Wasn't there a thread recently which mentioned cup marks appearing at (roughly) three foot above ground, or did I read that somewhere else?
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

The Dagda's Dick !
Feb 18, 2002, 12:52
From Anthony Weir's website
Known as "The Dagda's Stone" after a priapic Irish creator/fertility god, and by some as "The Dagda's Dick", it surveys a wedge-tomb and a glacial erratic rocking-stone known as "The Stirring Rock" which was the scene of Lammas fertility-festivities on "Bilberry Sunday" up to the beginning of the twentieth century.

I point ye to the rocking stone in particular.

http://www.beyond-the-pale.co.uk/phallic.htm

Also Wotan, some of your more depraved questions are addressed here too :-)

When it comes to The Mother, fertility and a piece of rock anything is possible!

Some say the long thin shaped rock found in Knowth is a salmon. Many say it is a 9 inch ribbed dildo! Who knows?
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

A bit off the beaten track
Feb 18, 2002, 12:59
On the Hill Of Tara there is a stone known as the Stone Of Destiny. This is the mother of all phallus's.

It is also known as Lia Fail, but apparently this could be incorrect. Some say it is the Baal-pillar stone :
An extract :

The phallic Baal-pillar stone that is now wrongfully and blasphemously called the Lia Fail, was re-discovered and placed on The Inauguration Mound at Tara some time between 1839 and 1845.
As the real Lia Fail is also known as Bethel, meaning ‘House of God’ in Hebrew and it is prophesied that Christ will come and be Inaugurated King of the Israelites, including the Irish, upon the Lia Fail Stone at Tara, there could be no greater insult to God or Christ than to name a stone phallus The Lia Fail. That is telling God that His House, where He should come and live, is a stone phallus and that Christ should come and sit on a stone penis. The wrongful naming of the obscene phallic stone at Tara caused God’s Cursing of Ireland which brought about the Great Famine of 1845-52 and it is still the "Curse of Tara" and Ireland.

from http://members.lycos.co.uk/JAHMP/tephisum.htm
Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index