The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Written records of pre-Roman European culture

14 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Re: Written records of pre-Roman European culture
Jul 14, 2006, 17:27
ooh Nettleton - that would be interesting. So close to lugbury too (that couldn't have been lost on the locals?). I've started (and stalled with) the EH 'shrines and sacrifice' and they make lots of connections between iron age sites and roman sites that followed them. I guess the Romans really did think 'When in Rome..'

Today I've been up at Wick Rocks / the Golden Valley, kick sampling. We thought we'd made it to the Raven rocks but we didn't get up that far in retrospect (did see the peregrine though). All that red ochre! I know you've mentioned it yourself before. And the pink rocks match those at the 'burial chamber' down the road. It was very interesting. Even though we only got as high as the 'summer house' there was a great view - particularly of the row of trees on Freezing Hill. It struck me that we were at another Point In The Landscape. Though with all the quarrying it's hard to say how it would have been - much more enclosed and Ebbor Gorge-ish I suppose. I think it was a popular jaunt in Victorian times? but the industry would still have been there then, which would have been a little odd. Anyway I liked it.

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index