The Wrekin »
Wrekin Question

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Hexham Wolf
Hexham Wolf
341 posts

Wrekin Question
Jul 10, 2006, 12:26
There is already info on the Modern Antiquarian website regarding the Iron Age Hillfort on the Wrekin in Shropshire.

I grew up only a mile down the road and there were many school outings out and around the Wrekin and many stories about the hillfort.

I seem to remember that one of my teachers mentioned that there was some evidence of standing stones (now fallen/buried/destroyed) near or on the Wrekin.

I have never seen anything mentioned since, so could have either imagined it, misunderstood or been misinformed (I'm harking back to primary school days here!)

Anybody know anything about this?
jacksprat
jacksprat
284 posts

Re: Wrekin Question
Jul 10, 2006, 13:26
There's a cairn located nearby and artefacts found dating to the bronze age. Also there's a legend about giants fighting, and one's spade hitting an outcrop of stone. Other legends about giants throwing stones at each other is supposed to imply volcanic activity, although this is deemed unlikely to have occurred within the last 100,000 years. I couldn't find anything about a stone circle though. Sorry!
jacksprat
jacksprat
284 posts

Jul 10, 2006, 13:51
Me again. Just thinking - I've been to Mitchell's Fold which isn't a million miles away from the wrekin. It used to comprise of 30 stones but only 14 remain now, could that be the trigger of you memory? There's the Hoarstone stone circle nearby too. Still nothing on the Wrekin itself though.
Can you tell I'm looking for any excuse to avoid work today?
Hexham Wolf
Hexham Wolf
341 posts

Jul 10, 2006, 14:27
Thanks for the replies, I too am attemting to avoid work, but my plan has been gradually unfolding all day.

I'm pretty sure he wasn't referring to Mitchells Fold, he seemed to be saying there was evidence actually on the Wrekin itself.

I wasn't aware there was a Cairn located nearby...I will have to do some more digging (no pun intended.....).

Hope your work avoidance strategy proves more sucessful than mine!
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Jul 10, 2006, 14:40
I seem to remember being told that there was a 'modern' group of stones erected at the top of the Wrekin, that were taken down in the 50s. Can't remember where I heard it though.
Hexham Wolf
Hexham Wolf
341 posts

Jul 10, 2006, 15:28
Blimey, not heard that one before.

Still seems to continue to be a great source of stories the Wrekin in line with the folklore about its past. There was a debate about whether the former Wrekin Beacon (actually a aircraft warning light) now sits at the top of Sydney Harbour bridge.....

Dissproved now, I beleive, but it ran and ran in the local paper...pity, great story if it was true!

I had never heard the phrase 'all around the Wrekin' used until I moved to Birmingham, despite living only about a mile away all through my childhood.
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Jul 10, 2006, 17:00
Hexham Wolf wrote:
'all around the Wrekin'

Thanks! That was a phrase that I heard many times throughout my childhood and had forgotten of its existence.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jul 10, 2006, 17:22
And I'd completely forgotten about the Wrekin beacon, it's been blinking unnoticed in my memory all these years.

Time to blub (with Houseman)...

Into my heart an air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?

That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

Jul 10, 2006, 18:22
*sobbbb*

*sniff*
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jul 10, 2006, 19:08
Hahaha!
I was thinking it would get to you in particular Morfe. Still, the Malverns are blue aren't they, so there's not too much difference (apart from the lower finger count of course).
The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index