The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Wow! What a week!

34 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
dee
1955 posts

Re: Wow! What a week!
Jun 23, 2006, 13:50
I'll get Busty to come to the picnic.... Serpent mound is near Loch Nell, Oban. It is mentioned in E.O Gordons book - Prehistoric London, written 1914, and also in Strontoiller bit in M.A. Cope didnt visit tho. It is also mentioned in this site under Loch Nell, but the person who wrote it didnt get the right place , if they had they would have shit themselves!! This mound is unique. A large head with chambered tomb at its crown and stone eyes, then the back curves round in an S shape with half buried stones acting as vertibrae. This site is ruiness, and there is nowhere to park (Busty was freakin out!!) so i visited first to confirm it was the mound (we had been looking in the wrong place thanks to mr copes rather loose OS ref in MA!!) I got maria to come and confirm it was indeed the serpent mound, couldnt stay long but i will never forget it, i would love to return and spend some time there. It is on private land so you have to be careful.....google the serpent mound, oban and you can read all about it!!!
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index